Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just Donated! Also need HELP
Nov 27, 2006

Hi Bob, Ive just donated, only $25, (bit skint at moment)

Just wondering can you answer the question i asked about my recent exposure?

About 4 weeks ago i had unprotected intercourse with a girl i work with twice in the space of a week. Dont know why because shes not even a looker! (drink eh!) Shes also known as the "office bike" and sleeps her way around my town! My symptoms are "Really bad muscle aches down my legs and groin area, headache, sore throat and neck, feel nauseas also". My Doc tested me for Glandular fever 2 weeks ago before the muscle aches, because my throat was sore and tongue and tonsils was coated in white stuff. The test was positive.

Could the GF test show up HIV antibodies and get them mixed up?? or anything like that. I am freaking out like you wouldnt believe! (actually you would cause you see this daily!)

Thanks for any help!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If your test for glandular fever (mononucleosis) was positive and you are having symptoms consistent with that diagnosis, as you describe, then I would have to assume that's what you've got! As for HIV, you had unprotected sex with the "office bike," so you'll need an HIV test at the three-month mark. Your fears of getting these diagnoses mixed up are unwarranted. Stay calm and remember, no more biking without gearing up first, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RE: WTF (WORRIED WELLS)
Next
END OF THE ELISAS!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.