Acute Retroviral Syndrome Symptom?

Hey Dr.

My breasts feel kind of engorged. Could this be a symptom of ARS?

I'm too embarassed t ask my real doctor!

Sadie Sadie Married Lady who cheated on her hubby

Hello Sadie,

Your "real doctor?" Hmmm . . . Sadie dearie, I, too, am a real doctor!

So you are concerned that your boobs feel engorged and wonder if that might be a sign of HIV? Hmmm . . . regular readers of this forum know that I frequently remind folks to check the archives to see if the answer to their question might already be there, waiting for their double click. Well, guess what?!? Yep, the archives are so vast they even contain a response to your Badda Bing boobs query! (See below.)

me again Apr 12, 2006

I read your posts daily to get thru this waiting period. Could breast engorgement be a ARS symptom? I'm the scared widow who met someone online and had oral sex with no ejaculation in mouth but he put semen on my chest. Thanks for your work. I plan to donate to you as your site seems to be the only one with any sense about all this. I looked at another that said, "oral, extremely high risk, get checked." Another listed symptoms that were "definitive that you have ARS". This has been such an education that I will pass on to my girls as they grow. Send me one of those good look karma charms as I'm with all those other worried sick folks and I think it's just anxiety and guilt that after 2 yrs. caring for my husband I got out and enjoyed some intimacy, you forget how much you miss a real kiss, but I wish I'd have used the condom for the oral, I really didn't know,but do now. Thanks again and God Bless you. SC Worried

Hello SC Worried,

Sites that state "oral, extremely high risk, get checked" or "symptoms that are definitive that you have ARS" are, how shall I put this politely, woefully misinformed. (Basically it's bullshit.) You can review scientifically-based factual HIV/AIDS education on this Web site and related links, as well as a large number of other reputable HIV information sites.

I recommend avoiding:

1. Fox News.

2. The Vatican's Web site, "The Joy of Biblical Sex."

3. Any sex information sponsored by the Republican National Committee.

Yes, it's really true Democrats know much more about sex. After all, when's the last time you heard someone say they just had "a great piece of elephant."

Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'm sending you my very best good-luck/good-health karma.

Oh, and regarding breast engorgement being an ARS symptoms, no. If it were, I think ARS would have to be epidemic in Las Vegas. I never cease to be amazed just how "engorged" the majority of breasts seem to be there.

Stay well.

NGU....plz answer even if you don't repost. I will donate again
RE: WTF (WORRIED WELLS)