My Risk

Hey Dr Bob, Thanks for everything you do. I have a quick question for you and was hoping you could help me. About 5 weeks ago I gave oral sex to a transexual sex worker. She (She prefers she so thats what I will say) also performed oral sex on me. I wore a condom and she did not. She told me she was "clean" when I asked if she should wear one. I ejaculated into the condom and she never ejaculated. That was all that happened. Now 5 weeks later I am a mess. I have been surfing and it seems that I should not be concerned with symptoms but I gotta tell you i am concerned. I have a little rash on my neck. My testicles are sore..no swelling I dont think. and I feel generally like crap. I cant tell if my glands are swollen. I want to get tested and have seen that you subscribe to the 3 month window. But I have seen where like 3 to 4 weeks seems to be 90 to 95 percent accurate. I know this would not totally ease my fears but I wanted to know what you thought of testing now just to see. I was planning on going to GMHC in NYC. They do the rapid test. Also, would you recommend the test? I was for sure negative before this. And this was my first foray into this scene. But I am so scared. What do you think? I know oral is very low risk but what does that mean? And I have heard that most sex workers will be honest when asked about their status so when she said she was clean I should believe her right? Any info you could give me would be most helpful and appreciated. And I would love to donate. This site seems to be a life saver. Thanks so much.

1. Your HIV risk is negligible. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, because we don't know the HIV status of your tranny. Should you just believe her when she claims to be "clean?" Come on, Dude, no one is quite that gullible, are they?

2. Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS.

3. HIV-antibody testing prior to the three-month mark is not considered to be definitive. Consequently, I don't recommend it. The GMHC rapid tests are very accurate.

4. Donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation are warmly appreciated (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'll send you my best good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

Good luck karma plz answer doc!!
Just want to say hi and wish you well