Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ORAsure Online
Nov 24, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob, You are a wonderful man. I'm a worried well going on symptoms - shock horror! - and even though everyone says I'll be fine - I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman of unknown status. The chances are she was negative, but you never know. The thing that worries me most is that she may have had it and didn't know herself, ergo her viral load would have been high and I would have been more at risk. I've spent the last 9 weeks trying to advise my friends who are equally stupid and far more promiscuous to start being safer, so at least some good may come from my own stupidity. But having learned about you and your foundation and how you approach live, I know that a positive test is not a death sentence. And I loved your Emerson 'Desiderata'!

Anyway, my question is this. Is the ORaSure/OraQuick available for purchase online by individuals for home testing? I want my results in 20 minutes but the country where I live doesn't have these tests! I've searched for an answer in the archives and don't want to waste your time, but can't find any enlightenment.

Finally, I came across this quotation from Groucho Marx as I tried to cheer myself up and deal with my anxiety which i HOPE is unfounded. Hope you enjoy it and thank you for everything you do:)

'I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet, I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it'.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I don't know what country you are writing from, but OraSure/OraQuick is not available for home testing in the U.S. I would suggest you check with AIDS service organizations locally to find out what types of HIV tests (home tests, anonymous tests, confidential tests, rapid tests, etc.) are available in your area and how to access them.

The HIV risk from your single unprotected indiscretion with a woman of unknown HIV serostatus is low, but not completely nonexistent. HIV testing is warranted, but excessive worrying is not!

Thanks for the Groucho Marx quote! In return I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test will be negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Atripla and testing period
Next
HIV/AIDS in the USA...World AIDS Day

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.