Atripla and testing period
Nov 24, 2006
Hey Doc- I have been done with my PEP for about a month. Just to refresh, I had a condome break and got on a PEP regimen of Atripla. I did not make it through the whole thing. The side effects were horrible, and based on the risk, about 2 minutes of vaginal after a condom broke with a female of unknown status, no menstrual blood, which seemed relatively small risk, I decided to stop PEP after 19 days. My doctor told me to wait until about a month after PEP to do an initial test. I made an appointment at a clinic that does Oral Swab rapid tests to do the initial test. In the initial interview, I advised them that I took the PEP, and they said not to do the test because the PEP would make the test come back positive regardless of my status. I am wondering.
1) Is that true? 2) Are there any types of tests I could take that would give me an accurate result? and 3) If not, how long will I have to wait until I can get an accurate result?
Response from Dr. Frascino
The clinic told you what????? That PEP would make your HIV test come back positive, regardless of your status????? WOWZA! That clinic is more confused than a hungry newborn in a titty bar.
1. Is what they told you true? No, absolutely not!
2. The best test to take for HIV-screening continues to be an HIV-antibody test.
3. Guidelines for follow-up HIV testing for folks considered to have had a significant enough HIV exposure to warrant PEP suggest HIV-antibody tests at both the three and six month mark.
Please contact the director of the clinic that gave you the misinformation about PEP to alert them their staff is disseminating inaccurate advice!
Good luck with your follow-up tests.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore Testicles After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- California Laws For Partner Notification For HIV
- Can I Get HIV From Sanitary Pad?
- Do They Test For Hiv In Routine Blood Tests?
- Does Soap And Water Kill Hiv Virus?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.