Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Atripla and testing period
Nov 24, 2006

Hey Doc- I have been done with my PEP for about a month. Just to refresh, I had a condome break and got on a PEP regimen of Atripla. I did not make it through the whole thing. The side effects were horrible, and based on the risk, about 2 minutes of vaginal after a condom broke with a female of unknown status, no menstrual blood, which seemed relatively small risk, I decided to stop PEP after 19 days. My doctor told me to wait until about a month after PEP to do an initial test. I made an appointment at a clinic that does Oral Swab rapid tests to do the initial test. In the initial interview, I advised them that I took the PEP, and they said not to do the test because the PEP would make the test come back positive regardless of my status. I am wondering.

1) Is that true? 2) Are there any types of tests I could take that would give me an accurate result? and 3) If not, how long will I have to wait until I can get an accurate result?

Please advise.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The clinic told you what????? That PEP would make your HIV test come back positive, regardless of your status????? WOWZA! That clinic is more confused than a hungry newborn in a titty bar.

1. Is what they told you true? No, absolutely not!

2. The best test to take for HIV-screening continues to be an HIV-antibody test.

3. Guidelines for follow-up HIV testing for folks considered to have had a significant enough HIV exposure to warrant PEP suggest HIV-antibody tests at both the three and six month mark.

Please contact the director of the clinic that gave you the misinformation about PEP to alert them their staff is disseminating inaccurate advice!

Good luck with your follow-up tests.

Dr. Bob

Previous
leukopenia
Next
ORAsure Online

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.