In need of advice.

Hey Dr Bob

Hows it hanging?

Quick question reference the difficult subject of late seroconversion. I know, I know - how many of us nuts on your site think we might be that one in a million?

I am aware that speaking about genuine cases of late seroconversion on this site may undo some of the sterling efforts you achieve in allaying the fears of the anxious and neurotic however, as a site dedicated to safe sex, I know you are at the forefront of providing acutely accurate medical advice and information. Your site is unmatched for sound factual information served with a sidedish of humour and I know many of us 'tune in' daily to get our Dr Bob fix as much as anything else.

You know my sorry tale but I will repeat it briefly for the readers benifit.

One of heterosexual encounter with thai sex worker - condom broke - multiple ARS symptoms - negative at 4 and 9 months.

I am 18 months from exposure and recently developed candidiasis with the following symptoms:

Cut mouth: 3-4 months Spots on penis head: 1 month Rash/Scrotum sores: 1 week

My doctor has recommended I have further HIV testing - something I am unable to do until I get out of Saudi Arabia in 2 months.

I had issues accepting the original results and had to be councelled as a result. Even got the big woo hoo from your good self and informed cut mouth and penis spots were not a sign of HIV no way no how.

My concern is not for me but for my wife. Since my woo hoo's and councelling we have started trying for a child - we've been at it like rabbits.

I thought I was clear - now I have put her at risk and she is the most beautiful, happy, vein person I have ever met.

My worry levels are now through the roof to be honest and the whole thing is just not cool.

I have been on the web sites and I know the strong affiliation between candidiasis and HIV. I was not on any antibiotics and my blood sugar is normal. Its a concern and the only strand I am clinging to is that it is outrageously hot an humid out here and I have been under a lot of stress.

I dont know. Has my UK hospital checked me for HIV 2? Has there been an error? Am I HIV positive?

They say the mark of a man is how he deals with adveristy and maybe this is to be my fight in life. I can accept that. I am not scared of this disease nor embarassed to have it. I will be absolutely destroyed however if I have passed it on.

Bob,

My risk was minimal but real. What are the statistics on late seroconversion? Why does it happen? Is it true that its is a bad sign in terms of life span? And finally, and appologies for being self indulgent, what are your thoughts on my case?

I finally got round to a donation (shame on me for taking so long) and I will make this my charity of choice forthwith.

As ever, I remain an admirer from afar. On a recent ski holiday a group of us had quite a laugh going through a stupid game naming the 5 people, alive or dead, we could have at a dinner party. You, my friend, were sat proudly between Jesus and Hilter. Now wouldnt that have been a good night?

Let me try to briefly address your many questions:

How's it hanging? To the "left," of course!!!

How many nuts think they are the one in a million??? Lots and lots and lots and lots . . . just check the archives!

Did your UK hospital check you for HIV-2? I have absolutely no way of knowing. Shouldn't you be addressing that question to them? It's really a very easy question for them to answer! Really.

Has there been an error? Extremely unlikely.

Are you HIV positive? No!

Statistics on late seroconversion? There really aren't any! Think about this rationally for a moment, OK? It's usually impossible to accurately document the time of infection for HIVers who contracted the illness via sex or sharing needles. What we do know is that late seroconversions are so extremely rare that they get written up in medical journals!

Why does late seroconversion happen? Multiple potential reasons that I've discussed numerous times before in the archives. I have nothing new to add to those comments.

Is it a bad sign in terms of life span? Who knows!! There are far too few of them to make such sweeping statements!

My thoughts about your case? Well, I'm typing as fast as I can, frevinsakes!!!

Self-indulgent? Well, probably, at least a touch anyway.

Finally, a dinner party with me seated between Jesus and Hitler??? Hmmm . . . the only thing that could make that scenario even more bizarre would be to have it be an opening night party for "Brokeback Mountain" and have the other two guests at our table be Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist. Now that would be a good night indeed.

**CUT ON PENIS**
Is it true?