Hot Tub Escapades

Dear Dr. Frascino,

About 5 years ago I did some very dumb things with a high risk female. Soon afterwards I convinced myself that I had contracted the virus; I had a very strange flu-like illness at exactly 2.5 weeks, constant heightened temperature, "thrush," floaters, ear ringing etc. I read this site for hours. It would be fair to say that I ruined a year of my life with worry and guilt. Many HIV tests, a CBC, and professional mental health care have convinced me I was wrong.

This monday I had my first sexual experiance with (two) men. I really don't prefer guys but I thought what the hell is the wrong with getting in the hottub and trying to enjoy it. One guy had a masters degree and I found him pretty interesting. We made out, enjoyed a little manual stimulation under the waves, and then I jumped out when the guy with the MA started sucking on my cock. This is what I remember at least. I was drinking a bit.

Well needless to say I haven't been feeling my usual perky self these last few days. The extreme heat and beer drinking were a bad match for starters. I find myself wondering how much I really remember... There are a few things I know about these guys that make me wonder how safe they are... I really don't know them to well. Do you think it is a good idea to test in this situation? Would I accomplish anything by confronting these guys? I sort of feel bad all around because I mislead them about my interest in men and sexual history.

I definatley am developing a sore throat. I have my moments when I fear deep concern.

Thanks, Trey

Hello Trey,

Hot-tub-rub-a-dub-dub is not a risk for HIV. Insertive oral sex carries a negligible, at best, risk for acquiring the virus. Your fears are unwarranted. Your previous episode of HIV-related anxiety five years ago would indicate you have a propensity for irrational HIV fears. I would suggest you seek counseling to address this problem. Otherwise, there is a good chance it will continue to recur (and continue to ruin your sex life!).

I do not feel testing is necessary in your situation; however, if you are worried and clearly you are testing may be the most efficient and effective way to put your unwarranted fears permanently to rest. All you would need is as single HIV rapid test at the three-month mark.

Good luck, Trey. (Although from an HIV perspective, I doubt you need it!)

Need some answers please
How's Your Luck?