HIV help PLEASE

Hi Dr. Robert

I just have a few quick questions that I desperatly need clarified...

1) After a possible exposure to HIV how soon is it possible for a person to get symptoms?? 2-4 days after my possible exposure I got a bad fever, lasting 2days. Is that 2 soon?

2) If a girl has hiv, and a guy has unprotected sex with her, only once, what are the chances of him catching hiv? I've been reading that one sexual encounter with a girl who has hiv is not that high??

3) After being tested negative for other diseases (ghonorrea etc.), after the sexual encounter, would that lower your chances that that other person has hiv??

Dr. Robert, I dont want to make this longer than it is. But I just wanted to say that after this incident, and the consequences I have been scared to death about, my eyes are completely open. I never realized how un-sex-educated i was, and how basically stupid and blind I was to everything. From this day on I am going to make sure everyone around me is aware of the importance of safe sex, and I am going to donate to yours and other charities. Because I am just in so much shock over everything I have been learning about sexual diseases. And I commend you and everything you do for people on this website.

Thanks so much

1. Yep. ARS symptoms take weeks, not days, to manifest.

2. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures.

3. Nope. HIV is a separate germ.

Take a read through the archives of this forum. There is a wealth of information there regarding HIV transmission, symptoms, STDs and related topics. You should find both encouragement and enlightenment there! Thanks for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org)

Good luck. Stay well.

THANK YOU DR.BOB
condoms and x-rays