HIV help PLEASE
Nov 12, 2006
Hi Dr. Robert
I just have a few quick questions that I desperatly need clarified...
1) After a possible exposure to HIV how soon is it possible for a person to get symptoms?? 2-4 days after my possible exposure I got a bad fever, lasting 2days. Is that 2 soon?
2) If a girl has hiv, and a guy has unprotected sex with her, only once, what are the chances of him catching hiv? I've been reading that one sexual encounter with a girl who has hiv is not that high??
3) After being tested negative for other diseases (ghonorrea etc.), after the sexual encounter, would that lower your chances that that other person has hiv??
Dr. Robert, I dont want to make this longer than it is. But I just wanted to say that after this incident, and the consequences I have been scared to death about, my eyes are completely open. I never realized how un-sex-educated i was, and how basically stupid and blind I was to everything. From this day on I am going to make sure everyone around me is aware of the importance of safe sex, and I am going to donate to yours and other charities. Because I am just in so much shock over everything I have been learning about sexual diseases. And I commend you and everything you do for people on this website.
Thanks so much
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Yep. ARS symptoms take weeks, not days, to manifest.
2. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures.
3. Nope. HIV is a separate germ.
Take a read through the archives of this forum. There is a wealth of information there regarding HIV transmission, symptoms, STDs and related topics. You should find both encouragement and enlightenment there! Thanks for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org)
Good luck. Stay well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Is The Risk Of Masturbation?
- What Is The Risk Of Sharing A Razor?
- Blood In Urine After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Herpes After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Does Amoxicillin Cure Chlamydia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.