Symptoms Guy

Dear Dr. Bob,

First time writer, long time reader and I must say the column is great. In fact you even helped sway me to vote Democrat a couple of days ago!

I received unprotected Oral Sex not long ago. I know this supposed to be "low risk", but about a month after the incident I got sore joints and a runny nose that was upgraded to thick mucous and sore joints. On the "last night" of my two week situation I got a fever complete with chills. When I awoke all symptoms had disappeared.

About three months after I got a bad case of itchy skin around my torso and groin that was most prominent during sweating, showering, or any time I was hot. Jock itch and folliculitis also joined in the fun. Now I am concerned.

In your professional opinion should I get tested?

PS - When are you running for office? Can you say "Senator Bob" :)

Hello Symptoms Guy,

The only reason to get an HIV test is if you placed yourself at risk for acquiring the virus. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is or is not infected.

The risk of unprotected insertive oral sex is extremely low. The decision whether to test or not is up to you. Would I be at all concerned by your "symptoms?" Nope!

Senator Bob? Nah. SpongeBob SquarePants? Maybe!

Stay well.

re: I shit myself .. literally
So I get this morning