Thank You!!!!!

hey dr. bob, i have written about 3 questions to you. and although i never got a response, i continued reading your forum. i cheated on my husband back in february with a man who i thought i cared for. we had sex where he pulled out. this happened for only one weekend, and i never saw him again (we live in different states). since june, i started freaking out that he could have had hiv. i was too anxious to get tested because of my fear and guilt. well, in september i found out i was pregnant and in the state i live in it is mandatory for every pregnant woman to get an hiv test. i freaked out even more. to make a long story short, i just got my hiv test back yesterday and i am negative!!!! i feel so relieved not only because my test came back negative but because i feel i can move on with my life. i always was afraid that if i had hiv, there was that chance i gave it to my husband. your kind words, sarcasm, and great humor kept me going this whole time. you are a wonderful person. thank you, and WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!! melaney from chicago

Hi Melaney,

Sorry I didn't respond to your initial question, but I'm sure from reading the forum and the archives you knew what I would have said, right? I would have told you that unprotected sex places you at some degree of risk for STDs and HIV and that testing is the only way to determine if you had acquired the virus. I would also have told you the odds were astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your weekend fling thing. Finally, I would have advised you to level with your husband to confront your guilt (and because it's the right thing to do). You knew all that, right? Of course you did!

Congratulations on your negative tests and having a bun in the oven. WOOOOO-HOOOOO!

Stay well.

Scared and Worried English Guy
ex nihilo nihil fit, cause and effect, action reation