Scared and Worried English Guy

Hello there,

let me fill you in on what has happened to me. About 5 years ago I went to Amsterdam with my work and got drunk and eneded up having sex with a prostitue both vaginal and anal. The episode was protected. I did not think nothing of it. About 4-6weeks later I went on Rugby tour where I took a lot of drugs for a solid three days i.e. ectasy and cocaine, when I arrived home a couple of days after I come back I got ill flu like for about three days. Anyway I did not think anything of it until the last couple of years.

About two years ago I got a cut on my face which I picked and it turned into a wart so I got it lazered of. Then last March I was getting married and worrying about money etc so went on a night out in which I was up all night doing drugs etc the next morning I got a rash on my back which turned out to be Shingles. This is where all my stress anxiety started as I looked on the internet and it said people who generally get shingles who are young and more and likely HIV +. So for about a year now I have been stressing which has caused me to put on three stone stop having any entusiam in anything. This year my wife had a baby and was tested for HIV which came back negative. I have some questions

1 could the flu like symptons be down to the abus my body took on rugby tour?

2 could the shingles be down to stress or drink and drugs?

Also ever since my shingles episode on the other side of my body under my arm round to the back I some times get a burning feeling which can be so painfull. Also I am getting pins and needles in my feet when I sit still could this be neuropathy? And I have a burnig pulling feeling behind my pubes could this be swollen lymph glands?

I am worried out my life that I have HIV or more to the fact that I have passed it on to my wife and my beautiful six month daughter as we did have sex after her HIV test. I want to have a test but am so scared and worried about it....

I will make a donation to your wonderful charity and please what do you think of my dilema/situaion.

Hello Scared and Worried Brit Boy,

Three solid days of ecstasy and cocaine doesn't sound like a rugby tour!?! More like a Rolling Stones tour.

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No. (neuropathy)

4. No. (swollen lymph glands)

Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break during your red-light-district adventure.

Your "symptoms" are not worrisome. Warts are common; ask any ol' witch. Shingles? See below. It's a QTND.

Finally, you play rugby. How could you be afraid of a little blood test? Stop being such a ninny and get tested. It will undoubtedly be negative and you can then stop all this foolishness, OK?

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma (It hasn't failed yet!) that your HIV test is negative (as I'm very confident it will be).

Shingles Oct 11, 2006

Doc,Im 42 Year old male,and have just be told,i have a mild outbreak of shingles.I have been tested for hiv(negative)two years ago.I have protected sex (intercourse)but unprotected for oral with female,i see on most internet sites,that shingles is a sign of hiv.Doc do you think i may hiv? regards mick uk

Hello Mick UK,

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies)! See below, Mick. Relax! It is extremely unlikely that a mild case of shingles in a 42-year-old guy whose only HIV risk is "protected sex" and "unprotected oral" would be related to HIV disease. If you're worried, a repeat rapid HIV test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes!

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

Shingles Sep 21, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

Well after a week and a half of a wierd looking rash around the left side of my waste and a portion of my thigh, my wife talked me into going to the doctor. He immediately diagnosed it as shingles. After searching for hours on the 'net and educating myself about shingles I have noticed a correlation between shingles and initial signs of HIV, especially young adults (I am 28). I have not had unprotected sex in 6 years (other than my wife) and even before that can't remember any 1 night stands of unprotected sex. I'm fairly certain my wife has not had any affairs. I guess my question is this; what is the likelihood of this shingles outbreak being an initial sign of HIV / AIDS? I have had no other health issues other than this latest outbreak of shingles. How many individuals actually find out they are HIV positive by a shingles outbreak as the only symptom?

Thank You, This site has been great so far.

"This site has been great so far?????" Hmmm . . . gosh, what else do we have to do to gain your unqualified approval? Make you a cappuccino? I would imagine in the great coffeehouse of life yours would have to be a venti one-Splenda-in-the-bottom, double-blended, half-caf, half-decaf, double-shot mocha chocolate latte, no whip, right?

Dude, if you've had no potential HIV exposures, you don't have to worry about HIV. As it turns out, the vast majority of cases of shingles even in young adults has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

If you're worried, get an HIV rapid test. You'll have your definitive result in just 20 minutes. It will be negative. How do I know? Well, I got your coffee order right, didn't I?

Stay well.

the anxiety is killing me...please reply
Thank You!!!!!