the anxiety is killing me...please reply

Hi Dr Bob. I have recieved your acknlowledgement regarding my donation, what i have yet to recieve is the answer that is worrying the living hell out of me, I had my test yesterday, olus an ecg test that showed abnormal, now i am even more worried, is it conected to hiv in my blood, as i mentioned i had unprotected anal sex, only slight penetration, no ejaculation, as i did not allow it, cos it hurt, however, i had blood on my toilet paper, i do suffer from hemorrhoids, and had an anal fissure for abut two years, i am so scared now, that i an convinced i have contacted hiv, please reply, the long wait continues. Thank you Dr Bob.

If the anxiety is killing you, you clearly need help confronting and controlling your anxiety! I strongly recommend evaluation and treatment for this very real medical condition that is causing you such distress.

Regarding your ECG abnormality, I have no way of evaluating that, because I have no way of knowing what the abnormality was! Are ECG abnormalities linked to contracting HIV? No, generally speaking they are not.

Regarding your HIV risk, unprotected sex does indeed place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. That your potential exposure was brief with "only slight penetration and no ejaculation" would decrease any potential risk of unprotected receptive anal sex. On the other side, traumatized hemorrhoids or anal fissures that lead to bleeding could potentially increase the transmission risk. Testing is the only way to determine if you contracted an STD, including HIV. I don't have a crystal ball that predicts the future. However, based on what you've stated in your question, the odds are better that anxiety will kill you rather than HIV.

I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your definitive test will be negative.

Worry in run up to test
Scared and Worried English Guy