Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

the anxiety is killing me...please reply
Nov 11, 2006

Hi Dr Bob. I have recieved your acknlowledgement regarding my donation, what i have yet to recieve is the answer that is worrying the living hell out of me, I had my test yesterday, olus an ecg test that showed abnormal, now i am even more worried, is it conected to hiv in my blood, as i mentioned i had unprotected anal sex, only slight penetration, no ejaculation, as i did not allow it, cos it hurt, however, i had blood on my toilet paper, i do suffer from hemorrhoids, and had an anal fissure for abut two years, i am so scared now, that i an convinced i have contacted hiv, please reply, the long wait continues. Thank you Dr Bob.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If the anxiety is killing you, you clearly need help confronting and controlling your anxiety! I strongly recommend evaluation and treatment for this very real medical condition that is causing you such distress.

Regarding your ECG abnormality, I have no way of evaluating that, because I have no way of knowing what the abnormality was! Are ECG abnormalities linked to contracting HIV? No, generally speaking they are not.

Regarding your HIV risk, unprotected sex does indeed place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. That your potential exposure was brief with "only slight penetration and no ejaculation" would decrease any potential risk of unprotected receptive anal sex. On the other side, traumatized hemorrhoids or anal fissures that lead to bleeding could potentially increase the transmission risk. Testing is the only way to determine if you contracted an STD, including HIV. I don't have a crystal ball that predicts the future. However, based on what you've stated in your question, the odds are better that anxiety will kill you rather than HIV.

I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your definitive test will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worry in run up to test
Next
Scared and Worried English Guy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.