The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood under toilet seat

Nov 11, 2006

I was at work and went to the restroom. I used one of those seat covers they provide now and didn't see anything visible on the seat. After I had went to the bathroom and got up I noticed there was blood soaked into the seat cover and through it. I wondered where this had come from as it was not my blood and I lifted the seat and the whole underseat area was covered in fresh wet blood. Should I go to a doctor and get on a pep treatment? Do you think my risk was significant? I wiped my leg and butt area and did not see blood on the toilet paper, but am not sure if it got on me or not and if I had a sore or pimple or some sort on my leg and butt area. Please help, I don't know what to do.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Do I think your risk is significant? No, of course not. First of all, it is highly unlikely the blood hiding under the toilet seat was HIV tainted. Second, even HIV-infected blood would not penetrate intact skin if it did come into contact with your backside. HIV is actually quite difficult to acquire. It's not at all like kryptonite's effect on Superman!

Do you need PEP? No, absolutely not. I don't feel you even need an HIV test; however, if you need definitive proof that the porta-potty blood didn't attack you, then get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. It will unquestionably be negative.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Hello Doc
Regarding your nasty response to the HIV question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint