|Possible causes of delayed productiong for antibodies??? (donation on way)
Nov 11, 2006
Sorry...I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, so I resent it in this one (the right forum)
Hi doc...I was wondering what the possible causes can be for showing antibodies beyond the 3 month mark. I read somewhere that people who are co-infected with HIV and HEP can take a much longer than 3 months to show positive on ELISA tests. I took a DNA PCR at one month and an ELISA at 12 weeks (84 days) and both were negative. I haven't had a hep test done, nor do I know if I was vaccinated against HEP B while I was young. The possible exposure I had was 4 months ago with an Asian prostitute who must've just come to this country. I read that Asians are the highest cultural group with Hep B. I'm a little worried now. The sex was protected, but wasn't sure if the condom broke (didn't look like it broke). Should I still be concerned or should assume my HIV negative test is conclusive? For some reason, the free clinic never did a hep test. Thanks
| Response from Dr. Frascino
A few quick points to hopefully allay your fears:
1. Protected sex is protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. (If it "didn't look like it broke," it didn't break!)
2. Your negative DNA PCR at one month and ELISA at 12 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.
3. You can read about the possible causes of delayed antibody production in the archives. It may occur with hep C/HIV coinfection. This is not relevant to your situation. If you are wondering about your hepatitis status (A, B and C), see your doctor. A simple blood test will provide you with the answer. Vaccinations are available to protect you from hepatitis A and B.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Causes Delayed Antibody Production?
- Ache In Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Balls After Sucking Penis Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Blowjob Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Rubbing Vagina Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.