Possible causes of delayed productiong for antibodies??? (donation on way)

Sorry...I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, so I resent it in this one (the right forum)

Hi doc...I was wondering what the possible causes can be for showing antibodies beyond the 3 month mark. I read somewhere that people who are co-infected with HIV and HEP can take a much longer than 3 months to show positive on ELISA tests. I took a DNA PCR at one month and an ELISA at 12 weeks (84 days) and both were negative. I haven't had a hep test done, nor do I know if I was vaccinated against HEP B while I was young. The possible exposure I had was 4 months ago with an Asian prostitute who must've just come to this country. I read that Asians are the highest cultural group with Hep B. I'm a little worried now. The sex was protected, but wasn't sure if the condom broke (didn't look like it broke). Should I still be concerned or should assume my HIV negative test is conclusive? For some reason, the free clinic never did a hep test. Thanks

A few quick points to hopefully allay your fears:

1. Protected sex is protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. (If it "didn't look like it broke," it didn't break!)

2. Your negative DNA PCR at one month and ELISA at 12 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

3. You can read about the possible causes of delayed antibody production in the archives. It may occur with hep C/HIV coinfection. This is not relevant to your situation. If you are wondering about your hepatitis status (A, B and C), see your doctor. A simple blood test will provide you with the answer. Vaccinations are available to protect you from hepatitis A and B.

I'm an idiot
you knew I would lose the bet