Bareback without protection

Last night my boyfriend and I who are both hiv- stupidly had a threesome with a guy. During the night we both inserted our penises into the guy for a few seconds without a condom and pulled out before coming. Afterwards the guy told us he is hiv+. We are freaking out with worry. What are the chances of transmission? He told us his viral load is 50. Should we consider post exposure medication?

"Bareback without protection???" That sounds like it came from "The Department of Redundancy Department." Bareback equals no protection by definition!

Next, your worry is warranted; although, freaking out is not. Unprotected sex definitely places you and your partner at risk for STDs, including HIV.

What are the chances of contracting HIV now that you know your bottom-boy-three-way-guy is HIV positive? The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from insertive anal sex is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. That your buddy's viral load is low (at least that's what he told you) would decrease the risk of transmission but not completely negate it. That your insertion time was brief "a few seconds" would again lower transmission risk.

Should you consider PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis)? PEP is most effective when started as soon as possible after a significant HIV exposure. The date of your post is 11/4; consequently, PEP would not be recommended now (11/7), as PEP must be started no later than 72 hours from the time of exposure. You and your partner will need HIV tests at the three-month mark. And because you had a confirmed significant HIV exposure, the CDC recommends a follow-up test at six months as well.

No doubt you and your partner learned a valuable lesson from this indiscretion. Barebacking is not worth the risk!

I'm sending you both my very best good-luck karma that your HIV tests are negative. Either way I'm here if you need me, OK?

Really Scared. Will send donation of $100.00
Reasonable fear? (from a magnetic couple)