Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Really Scared. Will send donation of $100.00
Nov 8, 2006

Approx 14 months ago I had unprotected sex several times with an ex-girlfriend who said she was clean. My concern is this, afterward she told me she had had sex with approx 35-40 different men from the time we had broken up until that point. This was approx 9 years. She has 2 children since then and one was 2 years old at the point of our contact. (Not sure how many of those men she had encounters with after the birth of her daughter)I know this was a really dumb mistake that I made, but at the time I trusted her. She says she made them all use condoms, but I'm just not sure. I have been so worried. I have been with someone since then and she tested negative for the standard std's, but never tested for HIV. I was wondering if HIV would reveal any indicators in those standard tests? Plus another thing that scares me is I got a fever and long lasting cough approx 6 months after our last encounter. Am I worried over nothing? I had tests ran the other day, but I am really worried. Could you please provide some insight? If you answer I will send $100 to your foundation. Please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. For that reason alone, HIV testing at the three-month mark is warranted, symptoms or no symptoms.

Would HIV be evident in "standard STD" tests? Nope. The only way to determine if someone has contracted the virus is to get an HIV-specific test.

Are your symptoms worrisome for HIV? No. A fever and cough six months after a potential exposure is not suggestive of HIV.

Do I think you may have contracted HIV? No. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not acquire HIV from your "Ex." However, only a negative HIV test three months or more after your last potential exposure can confirm definitively that you are HIV negative.

Thank you for your generous donation. (www.concertedeffort.org) In return I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your HIV test is negative. (I very strongly suspect it will be.)

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
desperately wanting you expert advice!
Next
Bareback without protection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.