Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My odds, doctor Bob?
Nov 6, 2006

Hey doctor Bob, how are you? Hope fine :P

First of all, I wanna thank you for what you do (71819382393 time you hear this). If you get hundreds of questions, well, I can imagine that there are thousands of people (including worried wells) who read the forum and the site to get informed. :)

I wrote to you about three months ago, freaking out, but got no reply. However, I managed to calm down by reading your answers.

Now, it has been three months since my "exposure", and I will get tested for HIV soon.

Here's what happened: On late July, I had an encounter with a guy I didn't know (I was oh-so-horny), we performed oral sex to each other (no ejaculation), I had his penis in my mouth for about 20 seconds in total I guess, so it doesn't bother me too much. I also got told (at counseling) that the risk from this was almost nonexistant, even though I had some irritation from some metal pieces (brackets) on the inside of my cheek.

What bothers me is that he rimmed me, then got up and touched my anus with the tip of his penis. I don't remember if he had precum. I obviously told him to put a condom on, so he went to get one. He got back, put it on, and rimmed me again. After this, he penetrated me and the condom didn't break. 1) How big is the risk from this?

He got tested (a week later) and was negative. He says he always practises safe sex, but, well, I can't help worrying.

About 9 days after this encounter, I had some minor headaches, which felt like a palpitation, and then went away. They came back about every 10 minutes. I also got some pains in my neck.

Then, exactly after 3 weeks (from the encounter), I started feeling a bubbling sensation on my stomach and bowels (never had this before). Whenever I ate something, I could feel and hear bubbling. It lasted for about a month and two weeks, and didn't cause diarrhea.

I also had some itchy bumps (on a random day), but they lasted for less than one day. 2) I shouldn't worry about them, right?

Also, on September, after exactly two months from the encounter, I had fever and vomited. It went away the same day, at night. The next day, I had diarrhea. 3) As this lasted for less than one day, it shouldn't be worrisome for ARS, right?

4) After reading this, what are my odds of having contracted HIV?

I know I sound as if I was really worried, but I certainly feel much more calm than during the first month. I just want to get your opinion. :) I will obviously get tested. I advise you to get some really good earplugs, because I want to WOO-HOO !

I will make a donation regardless you answer or not, if I test negative.

I hope you continue to have a happy life with Steve. You deserve it. Muchas gracias doctor. Chilean boy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Chilean Boy,

Actually, I don't get "hundreds of questions." In reality I get thousands and thousands of questions on as continuous basis from around the globe. Unfortunately I can only personally reply to a small fraction. That's why I encourage folks to peruse the archives. If one looks in the archives they'll realize I've already addressed over 90% of the questions (closer to 99% actually) cramming their way into my inbox. As you found out, the answers to many of your questions and the reassurances many questioners desperately seek are already waiting for them in the archives! In fact I encourage you to continue reviewing the information there, because you will find not only the answers to your specific queries, but also general enlightenment and encouragement.

Briefly, your HIV risk, if the latex condom was used properly and didn't fail, is essentially nonexistent. Your "symptoms" are not consistent with or worrisome for HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). A three-month test, which will undoubtedly be negative, will give you a definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOOable result. (Thanks for the advance warning about the earplugs. I've got them ready.) Thank you also for your gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Be safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
=> All well ends well? (Donation will follow)
Next
Open Wound

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.