Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please answer doc.. I will make donation if you do
Nov 1, 2006

Doc

I had test done at 14 weeks and 5 days and came back neg.

1.Seeming there i a window period for initial test to turn pos , i'm a firm believer in the other extreme.My question is , is there possibility that you can wait to loang after exposure and that antibodies will become undetecable only until later stages in infection ? 2.I've read on some websites(BBC.co.uk/ ask the doctor )that there is some reports in Africa that there is peolpe that is actually pos , but antibosy test came back neg .She said it might be due to different and new strain , what is your thoughts on that ? 3.is night sweats sign of hiv .When they refer to night sweats in hiv is it accompnaied by a fever and thus actually caused by fever ?

thanx doc

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Yes, there is a window period of approximately three months in which someone recently infected may not test HIV-antibody positive. This is because it takes the immune system a period of time to "kick in" and begin producing specific anti-HIV antibodies, which is what HIV-antibody tests measure. At the other end of the spectrum, there have been some cases of very end-stage AIDS in which the immune system becomes so deficient it can no longer produce antibodies. However, please note a person would be extremely ill (near death) if this were the case. Consequently it's not something that is likely to be missed. You're 14-week negative HIV test is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

2. The reports from Africa are being evaluated and may be explained by "N" group viruses. These are relatively new (first reported in 1998) subtypes that may not be detected on routine HIV-antibody tests. These cases are rare and found primarily in West Africa.

3. Night sweats is a symptoms common to an enormous number of ailments, including HIV. It certainly is not specific for HIV. They may or may not be associated with fever.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well. You can learn more about all of these topics discussed above in the archives.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIv 2- please reply , third time i've posted
Next
Dr Bob Bobblehead

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.