Scared of having to give up my dream

Dear Dr. Frascino,

My name is J-Mo, I am 22 years old, and I currently working in Japan. On my free time, I like to do boxing, kickboxing, and Jiu-Jitsu. I have many dreams. I wish to fight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and also fight in PRIDE Fighting Championship. But earlier this year, I made some very stupid mistakes which could cost my dream.

For one month (from May to June), I was sexually active and had five sexual encounters. In all 5 of these encounters, I had unprotected oral sex, but with three partners, I had protected sex. I remember in one encounter, I had my partner remove the condom with her mouth after she cummed and she gave me unprotected oral sex. Could vaginal fluids in her mouth pass on to me?

It has been almost five months and after my fifth and final encounter which was just unprotected oral sex. I realized I had a dream to fulfill and had to stop risky behavior regardless of protection usage. Now I have what could be Molluscum Contagiosum and Dermatitis seborrheic on my face. I plan on coming back home to America in before Christmas and see a doctor then.

I did some research on my potential conditions and heard that both conditions are common with HIV patients. I also heard that molloculusm can be present in the chest, genitals, abs, or thighs. Thankfully, I have not had anything similar to that in those areas. But I also do judo and jiu-jitsu and heard it's transmittable like that as well.

I heard that Dermatitis seborrheic can be a result of changing weather conditions, etc. I am origially from Arizona and I am from Japan and I am not used to the weather here. Could it be that as well?

I also heard heavy stress and worry can also be a result of those conditions.

I am scared to get a test in the case it comes back positive because of giving up my dream and not wanting to put any further burden on my family. My youngest brother is autistic and I have already promised my mother who has just beaten thyroid cancer in case anything happens to her.

Your support is always greatly appreciated and will put some ease to my worries.

J-Mo

Hello J-Mo,

There are many reasons to avoid HIV/AIDS other than not being able to kung-fu your way to fame and glory.

Your HIV risk is extremely minimal. Protected sex is indeed protected if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Oral sex, particularly insertive oral sex, carries a very minimal risk for HIV transmission. The condom removal by mouth following vaginal sex and preceding your blow job is not a concern as far as HIV transmission is concerned.

Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). I would suggest you not try to self-diagnose your condition. ("Now I have what could be Molluscum Contagiosum . . . .")

The only way to know for certain if you've contracted HIV following a potential exposure is to get an HIV test three months or more from the time of your last potential exposure. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from these episodes.

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

still worried
Need Help from Dr. B