The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gonorrhea issue

Oct 31, 2006

Hi there , i have a question ,i recently had sexual intercourse with a {working girl}in thailand and the condom broke during intercourse. its five days later and im having the exact symptoms of Gonorrhea. (yellow puss from penis,hurts to urinate and one saw gland on side (between penis and the thigh). one day after intercourse i got the runs and the doctor prescribed me 2x400 mg of norfloxacin daily for 5 days. firstly i know i need to get checked up for std's etc but i am in the belief that i should wait two weeks before testing . secondly , is this antibiotic enough to kill the Gonorrhea ? it is now the third day and im not seeing any improvements .

Response from Dr. Frascino


Because you are symptomatic now, there is no reason to wait two weeks for your STD screen. You'll need to be checked for gonorrhea, chlamydia and NGU. Regarding gonorrhea, norfloxacin may not adequately treat it. Over the past five years, here in California for example, the rate of fluoroquinolone-resistant gonorrhea has increased dramatically. (Norfloxacin is a fluoroquinolone.) In 2005 25% of gonorrhea isolates here in California were resistant to ciprofloxacin (similar to norfloxacin). Consequently the first-line treatments are now limited to another class of antibiotics called cephalosporins (ceftriaxone intramuscularly or cefixime orally).

My advice is to get routine STD screening and treatment now. HIV screening should be done at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

And how are you, Dr Bob?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint