The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has placed the number of new HIV cases attributable to oral sex at as high as 1 in 10 - Yikes!

Hi Doctor,

I just read this online - The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has placed the number of new HIV cases attributable to oral sex at as high as 1 in 10. I thought oral sex was extremely low risk - especially without ejacuation?

Any insight?

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission, especially without ejaculation.

I have not seen or been able to locate the reference or CDC report you are alluding to. It's clearly not in line with the vast majority of epidemiological studies currently available. Chances are the site where you read this information is either using old studies taken out of context or has a political agenda and is "spinning" the scientific data. Did you get this from Bill O'Reilly's spin-shellacked "no-spin" zone GOP-babble?

OCD-Chick Freaking Out
We Med Students always worry