Shingels...shoud I worry about HIV?

Dr. Frascino, I have just been diagnosed with Shingles. I am a 27 yr old healthy male. I am worried because I have read that Shingles is caused by a supressed immune system. Should I worry about HIV? I have only had one sexual encounter. It was in a brothel three years ago. I used protection and the encounter was quick. I got checked for HIV the same week, three and 6 1/2 months after. All tests came back negative. Since then, I have abstained and have had great overall health. Is another HIV test nesessary? I don't know if I can take another test because they take a great toll on me mentally. Fear tends to overwelgm me. Thanks for your time and response.

Fear "overwelgms" you???

Actually QTND (questions that never die) tend to "overwelgm" this forum. For instance, your question about shingles has been asked and answered numerous times. (See below for one response from the archives.)

Your repeatedly negative tests out to 6 months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional testing is warranted.

Stay well.

Shingles Oct 11, 2006

Doc,Im 42 Year old male,and have just be told,i have a mild outbreak of shingles.I have been tested for hiv(negative)two years ago.I have protected sex (intercourse)but unprotected for oral with female,i see on most internet sites,that shingles is a sign of hiv.Doc do you think i may hiv? regards mick uk

Hello Mick UK,

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies)! See below, Mick. Relax! It is extremely unlikely that a mild case of shingles in a 42-year-old guy whose only HIV risk is "protected sex" and "unprotected oral" would be related to HIV disease. If you're worried, a repeat rapid HIV test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes!

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

Shingles Sep 21, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

Well after a week and a half of a wierd looking rash around the left side of my waste and a portion of my thigh, my wife talked me into going to the doctor. He immediately diagnosed it as shingles. After searching for hours on the 'net and educating myself about shingles I have noticed a correlation between shingles and initial signs of HIV, especially young adults (I am 28). I have not had unprotected sex in 6 years (other than my wife) and even before that can't remember any 1 night stands of unprotected sex. I'm fairly certain my wife has not had any affairs. I guess my question is this; what is the likelihood of this shingles outbreak being an initial sign of HIV / AIDS? I have had no other health issues other than this latest outbreak of shingles. How many individuals actually find out they are HIV positive by a shingles outbreak as the only symptom?

Thank You, This site has been great so far.

"This site has been great so far?????" Hmmm . . . gosh, what else do we have to do to gain your unqualified approval? Make you a cappuccino? I would imagine in the great coffeehouse of life yours would have to be a venti one-Splenda-in-the-bottom, double-blended, half-caf, half-decaf, double-shot mocha chocolate latte, no whip, right?

Dude, if you've had no potential HIV exposures, you don't have to worry about HIV. As it turns out, the vast majority of cases of shingles even in young adults has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

If you're worried, get an HIV rapid test. You'll have your definitive result in just 20 minutes. It will be negative. How do I know? Well, I got your coffee order right, didn't I?

Stay well.

Hey Doc, please respond!! please!
OCD-Chick Freaking Out