magnetic

Hi Doc thanks for all the great work, wish i had half the energy you seem to have. I'm the poz half of a magnetic couple, i'm 30, he's in his early twenties. I seroconverted three weeks after a night out at an Amsterdam sauna, where my only contact was oral and protected anal. I can only guess at what did it for me, but most probably the condom was not applied properly by that stranger in the sauna. Not knowing that I had been exposed to the virus, me and the boyfriend (who was also at the sauna btw, wasn't cheeting, just spicing up the sex life) continued to have unprotected sex for several months. After a routine check some strange figures were seen in my bloodworks, and an hiv test proved to be positive. In retrospect, the rash and high fever, attributed to a wrongly diagnosed low-grade respiratory tract infection (treated with Augmentin, amoxy-clav) were signs of my active seroconversion. I could count on the extremely good care of my "home physician" and a very caring HIV specialist, and the boyfriend has been fab at dealing with this. He turned out negative at 1 and 3 months (ELISA) and his first follow up ELISA, one year after riscfull contacts, is also negative. My question: considering that we have only protected anal intercourse, and unprotected oral (we make sure no cum is involved there, no bleeding gums, no throat-infection, ...), what would you consider a good interval for him to do repeat tests? Yearly? Bi-yearly? Only after significant risk such as condom rupture?

Finally, i would like to thank you and your colleagues for your great services, and stress everybody newly infected that this is not the end. It's a new beginning, possibly heading for rough terrain, involving the odd pill or two once in a while (haha), and coated in rubber. We'll make it, i'm sure.

love, us.

Hello Magnetic-Guy,

There are no firm guidelines on this issue, but lots of personal opinions. Most of the guys in similar situations who come to the Frascino Medical Group for their care get a rapid test every six months or so if they are sexually active and have some degree of risk. Considering your personal situation, this seems reasonable to me, even with some "non-cheating spicing up the sex life" safer-sex action from time to time. Certainly if there is a significant exposure (condom rupture, etc.), PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) should be started as soon as possible. The testing guidelines following a significant known exposure with or without PEP extend out to six months, as you are probably aware.

Finally, I should mention my personal magnetic love affair is now 13 years and counting. I wish that all couples, magnetic or otherwise, could find what Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos Forum) and I have found love, laughter, compassion and passion.

Be well. Stay well. We're here anytime you guys need us, OK?

Dr. Bob and Dr. Steve

will my KS go away - a comment
two reactive elisas???