I am a conservative living and I need your help...Can you help me?

Dr. How someone gets a reactive Oralquick 1/2 test, but the confirmation with Orasure by Elisa and western blot rules out as a false positive for hiv-1 only. What if the person has a type 2? if that confirmation is just for Hiv-1 that is big mistake if they use only Orasure hiv-1 to confirm, don't you think?

30 days after my exposure protected sex and unprotected oral sex with somene I assume was positive. I did a blood Elisa test 1/2 combo and came back negative. 60 days after I did an Oralquick and it came back negative also, but at the 90 days mark I did another Oralquick and it came back with a faint line indicating that was reactive...they did Orasure to confirm the results and came back negative, the next day I did one more Elisa 1/2 combo and came back negative then I waited a little more and at 17 weeks after the exposure I did another one blood Elisa 1/2 combo, and it came back negative again.

1-Do you think that all this tests are conclusive? 2-Do you think that I could have Hiv-2 because my exposure was in Brazil and the confirmation with Orasure only looks for Hiv-1?

3-Should I get tested one more time at the six month mark or all this negative tests are conclusive What if I am taking longer to soroconvert?

4-I am afraid of having unprotected sex with my wife, what do think?... Please help me doctor because I live in Utah and I don't think that in this very conservative state I can find a professional with so much experience like you to answer these questions.

Thank you so much doctor! Please tell me how to make a donation using my credit card.

Utah? You actually live in Utah? Please accept my sincere condolences. Is it true they changed the state motto to "Our Jesus is better than your Jesus?"

Regarding your Brazilian sexy-samba sextravaganza, you can relax. You did not contract HIV.

Reviewing your extensive and excessive HIV-testing data reveals you are definitively and conclusively HIV negative.

Your HIV risk "protected sex" and unprotected oral sex carries a very minimal risk for HIV transmission, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail.

Your testing:

1. The negative ELISA 1/2 combo at 30 and 60 days was encouraging, but not conclusive, because HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.

2. The positive OraQuick test at 90 days was a false-positive as confirmed by the follow-up negative OraSure. Please note OraSure is a company that makes the OraQuick tests. In 2004 OraSure launched its OraQuick ADVANCE HIV 1/2 Antibody Test. It screens for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. Chances are this is the follow-up test you had performed. Even if it wasn't and you used the 1994 OraSure HIV-1 Oral Fluid testing method, your false-positive test would still be confirmed false by your subsequent negative ELISA 1/2 combo that you took "the next day." Add to this your negative 17-week ELISA 1/2 combo (again this test screens for both HIV-1 and HIV-2) which corroborated once again what we already knew several times over: you are conclusively and definitively HIV negative!

To specifically address your questions:

1. Yes. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

2. No. you have been screened multiple times for HIV-2 (ELISA 1/2) and the results are negative.

3. No. You are absolutely HIV negative. No additional testing is warranted. You've had way too much already.

4. "I am afraid of having unprotected sex with my wife, what do you think?" Hmmm . . . gosh, I don't know. Why be afraid? Does she look like Dick Cheney or something? As far as HIV transmission is concerned, you have absolutely no reason for concern. I would suggest you level with your wife if you've not already done so. It's not only the best way for you to confront your guilt and fears; it's also the right thing to do. However, considering you live in Utah, I wouldn't mention your indiscretion to anyone other than your wife, because I'd be concerned about the consequences. Do they still have public stoning for folks who have sex outside of a traditional (or sometimes polygamist) marriage on Saturday after those Mormon secret services?

The bottom line is that you've dodged the HIV bullet. Yell WOO-HOO! and celebrate, OK?

Credit card donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be made through the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Just click the donate tab.

Thank you for your willingness to make a tax-deductible gift to help others who weren't so lucky.

Be well. Stay well.

Help, worried sick with new symptoms
primo infection