Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NAAT??? Can't find much info. Donation on the way!!!
Oct 22, 2006

Hi Doc. I had a question about Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing (NAAT). I went to my local clinic and along with the antibody test, they gave me this test. To briefly describe my history, these are the tests I took after possible exposure: 29 days after - HIV DNA PCR (negative)

12 weeks later - antibody + NAAT (both negative).

Should I keep on testing at 6 months, or should I start celebrating? Thanks for all the help and advice you give to everyone in this forum. I've learned a lot over the past 3 months and have changed my life.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Break out the champagne. It's time to celebrate. WOO-HOO!

I'll repost a question about NAT below.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

FDA Approves Qualitative Nucleic Acid Test Intended for HIV Detection. Oct. 10, 2006.

FDA on Thursday approved San Diego-based Gen-Probe's qualitative nucleic acid test intended to detect HIV, Reuters UK reports (Reuters UK, 10/5). The test, called Aptima HIV 1 RNA Qualitative Assay, is a diagnostic test that detects the nucleic acid or genetic material of HIV 1 before the antibodies associated with the virus appear, according to an FDA release. "This product offers medical diagnostic laboratories the ability to perform a gene-based test for HIV 1 that, until now, was only available as part of a larger kit used to screen blood and plasma donors," Jay Epstein, director of FDA's Office of Blood Research and Review, said, adding, "This test also can detect infection with HIV 1 earlier than HIV antibody tests when used to detect primary HIV 1 infection" (FDA release, 10/5). The approval of Aptima comes one day after FDA approved Gen-Probe's Procleix Ultrio test -- which screens donated organs, tissue, blood and plasma for HIV 1 and hepatitis C and B -- the AP/Houston Chronicle reports. Gen-Probe announced that it will launch Aptima in November in conjunction with the Procleix Ultrio test (AP/Houston Chronicle, 10/5).

Previous
What's with the Moral Outrage Dr Bob
Next
Fatigue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.