What's with the Moral Outrage Dr Bob

Dear Dr Frascino, I have a question for you, directly related to your response to the person who asked about 'what kind of HIV infection do I have'...while I am inclined to agree with you I have grave reservations about the hostile and judgemental approach you adopted, in my opinion it is totally inappropriate and counter productive...having received such a withering response from you this person may well not feel willing or able to ask for help or advice ever again and you do not know anything about their lifestyle, state of mind/mental health or anything else about them other than what they told you...isn't a doctors first duty to do no harm? Can you be sure that on this occasion you haven't? So I have to ask why you did what you did and on reflection do you think it was appropriate for you to express those views given your position?

I have a feeling that either this won't get posted or you will get defensive, I hope not, people like me (I have lived with HIV for 20 years) need Doctors like you...i.e. we need the passion and the compassion we could well do without the attitude....

Nathan

Hello Nathan,

I'm not sure the person who sent that question even exists. However, if he does, I believe my "moral outrage" was more than justified. He reported he has been living with HIV for 14 years and had "more than 1,000" unprotected sexual experiences with each of three partners. That's over 3,000 unprotected sexual acts while knowing he is HIV positive. Sorry, Nathan, that's unconscionable in my opinion. I sincerely hope he takes my "withering response" to heart and begins to comprehend the potential deadly consequences of his selfish and completely inexcusable behavior.

I'll repost his question and my response below. I continue to stand by my comments and advice.

My HIV does not spread! Oct 2, 2006

I have been living with HIV for 14 years. I have had sex with 3 partners in the 14 years without protection more than 1000 times with each partner and they all remained negative. What kind of HIV infection do I have? What kind of a carrier am I? Whats wrong with me? Are there others like me? What do you call my kind of HIV infection?

You are HIV positive and knowingly had unprotected sex more than 1,000 times with each of three partners???? You ask "what's wrong with me?" Well, let's see . . . the word irresponsible comes immediately to mind, followed by reckless, thoughtless, clueless, unscrupulous and unconscionable. But perhaps that isn't the type of response you were looking for. So, difficult as it is for me to put aside your conscienceless behavior, let me address your other concerns:

1. What kind of HIV do you have? I have no way of determining that with so little information. One question I have is: are you sure you are HIV positive? Have you had an HIV-positive test result that has subsequently been confirmed? If not, that may well explain this entire scenario.

2. What kind of carrier am I? There are no "HIV carriers." You either have HIV disease or you don't. It's like being pregnant: Either you are or you aren't!

3. Are others like you? When it comes to your behavior, I certainly hope not!

4. What do I call your kind of HIV infection? Again, the list of terms I would use here would not be ones you would want to hear, so I'll restrain from using them.

I suggest:

1. You see an HIV specialist if you are not already doing so.

2. Stop placing others at risk for HIV disease. To continue to do so is morally reprehensible.

Follow up q donation of $1500
NAAT??? Can't find much info. Donation on the way!!!