Just found out tested positive

Hi: I am a very actively healthy 45 year old white male. I just found out I was HIV positive and am in shock. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs. I work out all the times for the past 25 years. I live in NYC and went to specialist who told me my viral load was 20,000 and my my CD4 T cells is 364. My HIV RNA PCR, QUANT is 3.97. He said I don't need medication at this time and I will live a very long life. I don't know what to think, can you help me understand because I'm so scared..thanks

A well-used gym membership and not smoking, drinking or drugging is not protection against becoming HIV positive. A latex condom is. Have you had unsafe sex? If so, you've placed yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV.

My suggestions:

1. Establish care with an HIV specialist who is both comprehensive and compassionate. He should be someone with whom you communicate well and can work comfortably.

2. Your initial positive HIV test should be reconfirmed to assure there was not a technical or clerical error.

3. If you are confirmed to be HIV positive, you should begin learning more about HIV disease. Check out the wealth of information on this site, beginning with the "Quick Links" on The Body's homepage. There you will find topics such as "Just Diagnosed," "HIV Monitoring Tests," "HIV Medications" and "Inspiring Stories."

Testing positive is always a shock. A period of adjustment to your new reality is normal. Try not to be scared. Rather, get informed and involved in your health care decisions. Finally, please note, I've been "virally enhanced" since January 1991. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Do you think it's really out there?
xmarine