Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OXY-MORMON
Oct 21, 2006

This is just a comment but I love the work you're doing here. I want to tell you that I've been mormon for over 10 yrs, I have a degree in public health, I volunteer at local HIV awareness groups, I work 1:1 with HIV+ people that I just love. A few of my best friends are gay and lesbian. BTW, my political affliation is libertarian, not republican! I've found that having an open mind in today's society is most helpful. I know that mormons sometimes seem self rightous but they aren't all that way. We all spiritually grow because of the challenges we face. I just want to say that those that live a full life regardless of the hand that has been dealt to them are an inspiration to me. There is too much misinformation out there concerning STDs. People know to use a condom but until they actually comprehend why, many will still be reluctant to use one. They need to be told the whys. That's why I think what you do on this forum is incredible. We are all busy (my FT job is QC manager at a factory and I have a non verbal autistic child at home) but it's critical that people be engaged in a good cause. Public awareness and working with those that need support is a most important cause in my book. Again, thank you for your work. You are a light in the dark for many out there.

Oxy-mormon Mormon in Indiana

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Oxy-Mormon Mormon in Indiana,

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to write in. You're a libertarian, open-minded, compassionate HIV/AIDS volunteer, who is also a Mormon?!?!?!? WOW! You are indeed an oxy-Mormon. And I mean that as a sincere compliment! Better not tell the church elders about your extracurricular activities or they may excommunicate you (or whatever the Mormon equivalent of excommunication may be)! I heartily applaud your efforts and good deeds. Most of the Mormons I know spend their time striving to remake the secular republic bequeathed by our founders into a Christian nation run according to their unique and to me somewhat bizarre interpretation of religious scriptures. This drives an ever-widening wedge between believers and nonbelievers. I worry when blind faith, rather than reason, common sense and compassion, is a heralded moral value. I do hope you can enlighten some of your Mormon colleagues to become oxy-Mormons as well.

Be well. Be "oxy!"

Dr. Bob

Previous
Army guy / Bachelor party
Next
Im a poz bttm and partner is a neg (POSITIVE BOTTOM AND NEGATIVE TOP RISK)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.