Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

persistent leukopenia - need advice - not answered before
Oct 20, 2006

It's been 5 months since exposition.

I have tested ELISA for both HIV-1 and HIV-2 & antigen P24 in weeks 5,8,12,14,17,20 and 23 (today) all negative.

I have also been undetectable (<50) in ARN PCR in months 3 and 4.

First month I had a foliculitis and some floaters, but disappeared after treatment. No other symptoms (fever or lympho..) and have been feeling well.

Doctor says I should forget about HIV, BUT I have a persistent leukopenia (3600) which scares me. In the past my normal white cell count used to be around 5000.

Can a smaller white cell count hide an HIV infection? Should I go on testing? Would you recommend going for PCR bDNA?

Thankyou in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You've had negative ELISAs (HIV-1, HIV-2) and p24 antigens at 5, 8, 12, 14, 17, 20 and 23 weeks. You had undetectable PCRs at three and four months. That's exactly six ELISAs and two PCRs too many. I realize it's your time, energy, blood and money, but please note such excessive testing is not only unnecessary and unwarranted, it's wasteful.

Your white blood cell count of 3,600 is not at all worrisome for and certainly not related to HIV.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. Can a white count of 3,600 "hide" an HIV infection? No, absolutely not.

2. Should you go on testing? No, absolutely not.

3. Would I recommend a PCR bDNA? No, absolutely not.

HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Official Woo Hoo For Your Friend Me?
Next
Just read it (or not)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.