persistent leukopenia - need advice - not answered before

It's been 5 months since exposition.

I have tested ELISA for both HIV-1 and HIV-2 & antigen P24 in weeks 5,8,12,14,17,20 and 23 (today) all negative.

I have also been undetectable (<50) in ARN PCR in months 3 and 4.

First month I had a foliculitis and some floaters, but disappeared after treatment. No other symptoms (fever or lympho..) and have been feeling well.

Doctor says I should forget about HIV, BUT I have a persistent leukopenia (3600) which scares me. In the past my normal white cell count used to be around 5000.

Can a smaller white cell count hide an HIV infection? Should I go on testing? Would you recommend going for PCR bDNA?

Thankyou in advance.

You've had negative ELISAs (HIV-1, HIV-2) and p24 antigens at 5, 8, 12, 14, 17, 20 and 23 weeks. You had undetectable PCRs at three and four months. That's exactly six ELISAs and two PCRs too many. I realize it's your time, energy, blood and money, but please note such excessive testing is not only unnecessary and unwarranted, it's wasteful.

Your white blood cell count of 3,600 is not at all worrisome for and certainly not related to HIV.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. Can a white count of 3,600 "hide" an HIV infection? No, absolutely not.

2. Should you go on testing? No, absolutely not.

3. Would I recommend a PCR bDNA? No, absolutely not.

HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Official Woo Hoo For Your Friend Me?
Just read it (or not)