Official Woo Hoo For Your Friend Me?

Hi Dr. Frascino,

How are you doing? It's your crazy Friend Me again. You were right. You predicted I was "Absofrickinlutely" likely to be negative. At 167 days, (yesterday) I had an OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV-1/2 test with oral swab. It was negative, but of course I began to worry that maybe I didn't swab my gums hard enough. I recall swabbing moderately lightly.

Why do they have patients do it themselves? Even though it sounds like a simple maneuver, it still seems to introduce so much variability in the test. Some will rub harder and some lighter. And being that nervous the mouth will tend to be very dry. Should I assume that if it was not performed correctly the control line would not be visible and they would ask me to repeat it? They did not let me see the results so I couldn't see whatever line was there myself. Since it was an anonymous test they couldn't show me anything or write anything down for me.

Anyway, I went today, for a blood test which was only for HIV-1 and it was negative. Today was exactly 168 days from the initial event I was worried about. For future reference, what is your opinion about the oral test?

By the way, I saw "An Inconvenient Truth" at your suggestion. Al Gore has certainly done his homework. It was very well done. It makes you think. We really take our environment for granted.

Thank you so much. Your answers to my previous questions helped immensely. Am I in the clear? Can I have an official Woo Hoo? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Your Friend Me

Hello Friend Me,

The oral swab HIV tests have been very well evaluated. You really can't screw it up, even if you "rub harder or lighter" or if your mouth is a bit dry, OK?

Are you in the clear? Once again my response is "Absofrickinlutely!"

Can you have an official WOO-HOO? Dude, how many times are you going to make me type "Absofrickinlutely????"

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are well!)

Need Your Opinion-The "Whole Story" Guy
persistent leukopenia - need advice - not answered before