The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Clinic Refused to Test ?????

Oct 16, 2006

Dr. Bob:

I had an exposure in June with a prostitute, (several minutes maximum unprotected sex) and have gone down the road of multiple testing;

4/6/8/10/12/14 weeks all NEGATIVE for HIV1/HIV2/P24 Ag. So I should be in the clear?

Well I thought so until I got a rash all over my body after a holiday in Malta, (2 days after my 14 week NEGATIVE) and its still around three weeks later.

I went to the GUM clinic today for a HIV test, (16 weeks post exposure and they REFUSED to test me stating I had already conclusively tested NEGATIVE and this was anxiety driven, the rash could not possibly be ARS related after having six 4th gen tests.

Do you agree with what I have been told?

I am more than worried and started having unprotected sex with my wife again after 14 week NEGATIVE. I am really concerned I may have passed something on.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Six negative HIV-1/HIV-2/p24 Ag tests are definitive, conclusive and excessive. I agree with the GUM Clinic: no additional testing is warranted. In fact, you've had five unnecessary tests already!

Whatever is causing your post-Malta rash, one thing is for certain, it's not HIV. No way. No how.

My advice:

1. Level with your wife.

2. Never have unprotected sex outside of a mutually monogamous relationship.

3. See a dermatologist if the rash is persistent.

Dr. Bob

latex condom with vaseline lubricant
An RIA test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint