Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

latex condom with vaseline lubricant
Oct 16, 2006

While having anal sex with sex worker i used 2 latex expired condoms and over condoms for smooth insersion i used vaseline cream. what is my chance of getin HIV. I have read that if one use vaseline with latex condom the condom is virtually useless. please advice

Response from Dr. Frascino

Two expired latex condoms plus Vaseline????? Yikes, you're a safer sex flunky three times over!

1. Using two latex condoms (double bagging) can cause friction, as latex will rub on latex, thereby increasing the risk the condoms will fail (pop).

2. Expired condoms? Never a good idea.

3. Vaseline is an oil-based lubricant. Oil-based lubricants and latex don't play well together. The petroleum in oil-based products can denature the latex, which can ruin the integrity of the condom and thus cause it to fail.

What are your chances of getting HIV? I have no way of knowing. Assuming that luckily the condoms did not break and that they may not have been too far out of date, there's a good chance you dodged the HIV bullet and did not have a significant risk. However, if you're concerned, get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. And please spend some time reviewing the principles of safer sexual techniques and purchase some non-expired latex condoms! You may not be so lucky next time!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I need the Icon of societies help!
Next
Clinic Refused to Test ?????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.