Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Made a Mistake
Oct 16, 2006

Hey Bob, I checked several posts and notice you've said this several times:

"The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive vaginal and anal sex with an HIV-positive male partner is 1 and 5 per 10,000 exposures respectively."

Can you explain what this means exactly? I ask because I'm HIV+ for seven years now and have had undetectable loads and high CD counts ever since I was first infected. Through some "strange" circumstances, after all these years my wife and I had unprotected sex for the first time (she knows about my status) since I've been infected. Now I'm worried. It'll kill me if I've given her HIV...are there meds she can run out and take to lessen the chances? Please answer this question, so I can act quickly! Thanks! Jeff

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Jeff,

"Some 'strange' circumstances . . . ." Hmmm . . . like what alien mind control??? Despite whatever circumstances led to this indiscretion, your estimated risk of transmitting HIV remains the same. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive vaginal sex is 1 per 10,000 exposures. This and the other estimated risk statistics that I quote are just a way of trying to explain the level of risk for a specific type of exposure and to show that some exposures carry significantly more risk (for example, anal receptive sex) than others (oral insertive sex).

If someone, via "strange circumstances," transient indiscretion or even an unlucky broken condom has a significant HIV exposure, we recommend PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). These medications should be started as soon as possible (and no later than 72 hours) after an exposure. You can learn more about HIV-risk statistics and PEP by reviewing the extensive information in the archives. I will briefly mention that the risk of HIV transmission is significantly decreased but not completely eliminated, if the positive partner's viral load is undetectable.

Good luck to both you and your wife.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PEP-twice
Next
Hi Dr. Absolutely , Positively HANDSOME, and I am not Gay

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.