Having kids

Hey Doc

I really need this question answered. I am positive but my health is really good right now am less then 80 and am not on meds. Now my partner and I have been together about 9 months and he is very supportive of what I want to do, but my question to you is: Can I still have children?? I don't want to adopt I want kids for my own (semen). Now I am not going to put anyone at risk of getting the virus just because I want children, can you tell me if there is a way for me to have kids without transmitting the virus?? Am still young and I don't want to rule out having kids so please help me.

Thank You

Let me see if I've got this correct. Your HIV positive, in really good health, less than 80, have a neggie partner and want kids.

You claim to be "still young." Well, that would depend on how much "less than 80" you are. Seventy-nine would not be considered an optimal age to start a family. OK, I'm kidding. I realize you mean your viral load is less than 80, right?

I see no reason why you can't have children. Artificial insemination is a safe way to accomplish this without risking your partner's health, but while still using his semen! Talk to an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician. Your HIV specialist should be able to refer you to someone in your area. You'll need to take some special precautions to decrease the risk of passing the virus on to your unborn child. However, working closely with your HIV specialist and the HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician, you, I'm confident, will soon see your wishes come true.

Good luck!

Positive EIA
From the south of the south, Argentina!