Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

so worried
Oct 11, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob, I have been visiting this site since I discovered it a few months ago, while I started dating an HIV+ male who told me since the beginning his status. I am sure I love him now, and we had had protected sex until about a month ago, that we were carried away and had no condoms. Eventhough we both know the risks we have had unprotected intercourse about 4 times now, I am the one on top. (I feel so ashamed for writing this after all the information I have read...) I know what your answer might be, but would you tell me what should I expect if I take the test in 3 months? We both feel so guilty, and obviously worried about our actions. Is it possible I did not get infected? We just decided this won't happen ever again, but I don't know if it is too late. (Sorry if all these are stupid questions, but my head is spinning)I have been searching for a question similar to mine, but I have not seen any cases like ours. I hope you can answer me as soon as possible, and obviously I would keep reading this wonderful site which has informed us so much. (Although it didn't seem to). In our country, Mexico, we still lack a bunch of information about AIDS and HIV. Thank you Dr. Bob for your patience and for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The estimated per-episode risk for acquiring HIV from insertive unprotected anal sex with a poz partner is 6.5 per 10,000. Is it possible you did not get infected from your four commando indiscretions? Yes, in fact the odds are very much in your favor. However, because you've had a significant known exposure, testing is certainly warranted. The CDC guidelines recommend you get HIV tested at three months and, if negative, get a confirmatory test at the six-month mark (because of your significant repeated documented exposure). I'm pleased you've both decided "this won't happen ever again." As part of a very successful magnetic couple (I'm poz and Steve is as neggie), I can personally advise that you and your Mr. McStudmuffin can have mind-blowing, toe-curling, name-forgetting sex while adhering to safer sexual practices. Take a read through the archives of this forum that deal with magnetic couples. You should find the information there reassuring.

I'll send my best good-luck karma that your HIV tests are negative!

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well. Enjoy sex without the worry!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Test ????????
Next
have you ever been to long island?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.