Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why do I still have prostatitis?
Oct 11, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob

I think what you do is truely amazing!

I was wondering, I have been told by 2 doctors that I have prostatitis. I have had this since January. I have been on Cipro and Ofloxacin on 4 different occasions. I was tested for chlamydia, syphilis and HIV and everything was negative. These tests were done 6 months after a sexual exposure with a woman. I had a cystoscopy done which showed nothing. But the pain during urination as well as ejaculation is still there. I am getting annoyed with this my symptoms are still persistant. (pain during urination, itchy weird irritated feeling on my penis at the base and on the scrotum, dribbling after urination.) Am I std free? Could this be herpes? Do I need to be tested for herpes or anything else?

My urologist said my urine was clear of infection. What should be my next step?

Is there anyway I could possibly have HIV even after a 6 month negative test?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Rob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Rob,

I'm not a urologist and therefore may not be able to give you a complete answer to your problem. However, I can advise you that if you've tested negative for chlamydia, syphilis and HIV, these STDs are certainly not your problem. Certainly no further HIV tests are warranted.

Chronic prostatitis is exceedingly difficult to cure, because most antibiotics do not penetrate through the capillaries (small blood vessels) that serve the prostate. So it's difficult to get the antibiotic to the area of the infection. Your persistent symptoms are not uncommon. You'll need to continue working with a competent urologist. Eventually it will indeed clear up. Do you need to be tested for herpes? No, your symptoms are not consistent with herpes.

Your next step? Back to the urologist!

Good luck, Rob!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Shingles
Next
Just another thankyou

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.