Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shingles
Oct 11, 2006

Doc,Im 42 Year old male,and have just be told,i have a mild outbreak of shingles.I have been tested for hiv(negative)two years ago.I have protected sex (intercourse)but unprotected for oral with female,i see on most internet sites,that shingles is a sign of hiv.Doc do you think i may hiv? regards mick uk

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mick UK,

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies)! See below, Mick. Relax! It is extremely unlikely that a mild case of shingles in a 42-year-old guy whose only HIV risk is "protected sex" and "unprotected oral" would be related to HIV disease. If you're worried, a repeat rapid HIV test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes!

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Shingles Sep 21, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

Well after a week and a half of a wierd looking rash around the left side of my waste and a portion of my thigh, my wife talked me into going to the doctor. He immediately diagnosed it as shingles. After searching for hours on the 'net and educating myself about shingles I have noticed a correlation between shingles and initial signs of HIV, especially young adults (I am 28). I have not had unprotected sex in 6 years (other than my wife) and even before that can't remember any 1 night stands of unprotected sex. I'm fairly certain my wife has not had any affairs. I guess my question is this; what is the likelihood of this shingles outbreak being an initial sign of HIV / AIDS? I have had no other health issues other than this latest outbreak of shingles. How many individuals actually find out they are HIV positive by a shingles outbreak as the only symptom?

Thank You, This site has been great so far.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"This site has been great so far?????" Hmmm . . . gosh, what else do we have to do to gain your unqualified approval? Make you a cappuccino? I would imagine in the great coffeehouse of life yours would have to be a venti one-Splenda-in-the-bottom, double-blended, half-caf, half-decaf, double-shot mocha chocolate latte, no whip, right?

Dude, if you've had no potential HIV exposures, you don't have to worry about HIV. As it turns out, the vast majority of cases of shingles even in young adults has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

If you're worried, get an HIV rapid test. You'll have your definitive result in just 20 minutes. It will be negative. How do I know? Well, I got your coffee order right, didn't I?

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Me again
Next
why do I still have prostatitis?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.