Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ELISA Test Generation. Please reply...its my 3rd post. HELP!
Oct 11, 2006

Dr Bob,

I have posted a few times previously and hope you can spare some time to reply to my question.

I am from Malaysia and had a risky exposure. I have been testing many times (About 5-6 times) for the last 5 months. My latest test was at the 22 weeks mark and the results turned out Negative.

A week back i noticed there is a small lump under my left armpit. It is not easy to be felt but when i poke deep into my armpit i can feel it. I am not sure if its a lump or if it is a vein that i am forcing to move from its position when i poke deep in.

My questions: 1. Being in a just recently developing country, if the medical labs use the 2nd generation ELISA test, would it be able to detect antibodies within 5 months past exposure?

2.Can lypmh nodes swell for HIV infection in 5 months after exposure?

3.Do you think my 22 week test is sufficient for me to say i am free from HIV? or do i need to retest at 6 months?

4.Can being positive for VDRL and TPHA (Syphilis)and taking medication for syphilis delay the HIV antibody development?

I guess i have asked alot of questions...but i really hope you could answer them just this once. I have been living with fear EVERYDAY for the past 22 weeks and it is making me go insane! Help me Doctor...PLEASE...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Yes.

2. Yes, but I very strongly doubt what you are palpating is related to HIV-associated lymphadenopathy.

3. Yes. No.

4. No. Antibiotics, such as penicillin used to treat syphilis, will not delay HIV-antibody development.

My advice:

1. Stop poking your armpits. It makes you look silly and serves no purpose.

2. Stop HIV testing.

3. Yell WOO-HOO!

4. Always use condoms in the future.

Dr. Bob

Previous
immunizations- Please help
Next
Me again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.