Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral Sex with HIV+
Oct 9, 2006

Dear Doctor,

I'll try to be brief not to waste your time. 2 month and a half ago I had sex with a guy. We had only (unprotected) oral sex (I was both receiving and performing) because he lost the hard on at a certain point and told me he was to nervous to proceed. It sounded strange at first but then, unfortunately, it cleared up. I didn't hear from him anymore until last week when he called me to tell me that he got tested two weeks ago and he found out being positive. He told me he didn't know about that even if he had some suspects. He didn't get tested in the last 8 ys and he is almost sure he heve been must be infected about that time cause (that's what he told me) after then he stopped having unprotected sex (but apparently not oral as he was pretty sure it was a completely safe practice). I got tested yesterday, at 9 and a half weeks (funny how even half week is important to cool down my nerves): negative. The question: which are the odds that the test is going to turn positive at the three months mark knowing that he didn't come in my mouth (he didnn't come at all), he had a high virus load (cause he had been infectd a long time ago and was not taking any drugs), and I didn't have any cut or sores neither I had brush my teeth two hours earlier or after the oral contact (as I always do to avoid invisible cuts few minutes before sex)? I don't remember if he was precoming a lot or he didn't, memorie of what happened are just getting very confusing in my mind.

I know you'll raccomend me to repeat the test at three months (and I will), I'm just wodering if I can cool down and consider the chances I was infected as incredibly lowered by the test.

Sorry for my bad English but I'm an Italian native speaker and I got to the US just four months ago.

Thanks for your time and your help.

Grazie, Francesco

Response from Dr. Frascino

Buon giorno, Francesco,

Here's what I can tell you:

1. The risk of HIV transmission from unprotected oral sex is extremely low.

2. Not ejaculating further decreases that risk.

3. Your negative 9.5-week test is encouraging, but not definitive. Tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be conclusive.

So can you "cool down???" I doubt it. Italian stallions never cool down, because they are so damn hot!

I'll send my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month test remains negative, as I very strongly suspect it will. Write back with your results and we two Italians will sing a WOO-HOO duet. Of course in Italian, I guess it would be "alé!"

Buona fortuna,

Dr. Bob

Previous
Stripper Spit on Head of Penis = HIV Worry
Next
immunizations- Please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.