Hello Bob....Please answer, question on my syptoms

In August I had unprotected sex with a male(I am a female)whose HIV status is unknown. We used a condom only at the end before ejaculation. Approx two weeks later I developed a sore throat, It was really sore for about 6-7 days. I don't think I had any swollen lymph nodes. The only thing I could feel was a small round lump the size of a grape seed on my left side of my neck under my jaw bone. It felt painfull only for a few days like a burning sensation. Now we are in October and I still have a mild sore throat and the small lump is still there with no pain anymore. I have experienced a little dry mouth at times thru out the last 5-6 weeks.

I am really worried and my thoughts thru out the day are consumed by the thought that being positive can be a reality.

My questions to you are: 1. Does this sound like an acute infection of Hiv? 2. I know Hiv can be present in pre-cum but we did use a condom for ejaculation-Is there a high risk that I could have contracted Hiv? 3. Are there any tests I could take now that could detect the virus?

I really hope you answer my questions? I have been reading your forum allot lately. I think it is great. It has to some extent given me hope that I can whooo hooo soon!!(I have been really stressed out about this for some time and knowing that there is a place to go is helpful) How can I donate?

Thank you so much!!!!

1. Nope.

2. HIV has been isolated from pre-cum; therefore there is some risk. However, I certainly would not characterize it as "high risk."

3. The only test to take is an HIV-antibody test (ELISA or rapid test) at the three-month mark. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this extremely limited potential exposure.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on our Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Our address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

In return, I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative, as I very strongly suspect it will be.

A medical slap of reality required
Please Help Doc! Elevated Liver Enzymes After Exposure