Is it time for me to move on?
Oct 3, 2006
Dear Dr, had a 13+ week EIA test done recently for HIV 1/2, result was negative but was told to come back for the final 6th month test by the specialist as I have a swollen node (below my jaw)which has persisted for weeks. They did a scope test and found nothing that could suggest it as cancerous. Needless to say, my anxiety level skyrocketed so I did a PCR and CD ratio test (after talking to them on the options avail)despite having to pay an arm and a leg for the tests. PCR for HIV 1 came out negative (pheewwww!) but cd test were borderline (cd4 550/32% and cd8 410/24% ratio 1.35). Looks like I may have to hold on till the 6 months timeline to rule out HIV 2 as there is no PCR test for it. Whilst I am going to be counting the stars for the next 12 weeks...could you be kind enough to assess my chances of 1. getting an all clear result come week 26? 2. can HIV 2 be rule out with the 13+week test? 3. is my cd4 count of 550 considered very low? as well as a ratio of 1.35 (btw, if indeed I am being infected, what is the likelyhood of having a ratio 1.35...or would it be more likely that the ratio will be lesser than 1 at weel 13+?)
Lastly, to the nasty ASSHOLE who wrote you a nasty note 2 days ago...F**K off from the site, S.*.B! Dont you ever come to this site and drop such a remark EVER again!
Response from Dr. Frascino
If your only symptom is an isolated swollen lymph node, I would not be at all worried about HIV with a 13-week negative EIA, negative PCR and normal CD4 subset analysis.
To specifically answer your questions:
1. Excellent! I can hear the WOOO-HOOO already.
3. No. T-cell subsets, including CD4 and CD8 cells go up and down for a variety of reasons. They are not HIV specific. That's why I would not suggest getting this test unless there is a specific reason to do so. Your results are not at all concerning.
Finally, thanks for your support!
Good luck. Be well. Stay well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Fever A Symptom Of AIDS?
- Chances Of Catching HIV From Sex With A Prostitute
- Sore On Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Swallowing Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Do Stds Cause Diarrhea?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.