Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV AND STUDIES
Sep 29, 2006

I am HIV positive and my numbers still look ok after three years of having been dignose HIV positive and probably 13 years of having been actually positive.

Having heard about how ARVs are able to prolong one's life (normal life span in some cases), I feel that I have time to make positive contributions to the development of my country. I have an accounting backgroung and would want to take up a postgraduate course in development studies. It seems to me that scholarships are now only available to individuals who are HIV negative. In some countries like Australia, being HIV negative is a prerequisite for getting a visa. As experts, will you ever convince the people of this world that HIV positive people with the support of drugs are capable of being normal human beings? I now feel half human or like a prisoner because I cannot do what others are able to do despite being health and strong! Guide me please I have something to offer in this life and I am dying to do it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

HIV discrimination in any form needs to be confronted. There are a number of discriminatory laws and policies on the books in many countries. These need to be challenged at every opportunity, as they have no scientific or rational basis. HIV must never inhibit one's dreams or potential. I don't know where you are writing from, but I'd suggest you contact your local AIDS service organizations and get in touch with your local "HIV/AIDS legal services" group to find out exactly what your local laws actually state and what you can do to help change them. I see absolutely no reason why an HIV-positive accountant should be prohibited from attending graduate school or making a significant contribution to society. Fight for your rights!

Dr. Bob

Previous
help wife pregnant
Next
Foley, Another In The Closet Republican

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.