Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low risk sex life... or not?
Sep 29, 2006

Hello Dr. Frascino,

I've recently found your answer column while doing research on HIV/AIDS, and I gotta admit it's the most upfront, layman's terms site around. While most sites use higly medical jargon, your kind responses and in-your-face (in a good way) attitude help reassure and inform the public.

I'm a 27 year old gay male who had an infection scare a few years back, tested negative and since then tried stick to safe sex only. I've been on 4 monogamous relationships where condoms have been used successfully during anal sex, and exposure to body fluids (other than saliva during oral sex) has been kept to a bare minimum. I've had a few encounters where I've received oral sex (never to completion) and given it as well (staying away from the head, avoiding bodily fluids).

Last year, while I took a shower, I realized a had what looked like a brownish spot smaller than a button on the front of my foot, upon closer look, i realized it was comprised of smaller brownish dots that get red if i put too much pressure on them. A year later, it's still there, though it's considerably faded in color. I was never bothered by it (since i'm prone to skin problems). So my question is... what could this lesion be? Kaposi's? Other than the painless lesion, i'm in very good health, no problems, no colds, flu-like symptoms or any other health issues.

Am I wrong in assuming I've led a fairly low-risk sex life?

Thanks for your time and for reading this message. I know that the only way to know one is infected is by getting tested. I admire your courage and what you've done with your life since 1991, I'm working towards strenghtening my spirit to get tested again.

a.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello a,

Thanks for your kind comments.

1. Is your sex life fairly low risk? Absolutely. I'd call it extremely low risk.

2. Is your brown spot Kaposi? Nope! I can't diagnose a skin condition over the Internet, but I can tell you it's not Kaposi Sarcoma! If you're worried about it, see a dermatologist. They have lots of fancy names for brown spots and can probably get yours to clear up quickly.

Regarding HIV testing, as Jack Bauer on "24" says, "Do it! Do it now!" Your risk is so remote as to be essentially nonexistent.

Why worry? Just get tested and WOO-HOO! OK?

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
From Brazil again....
Next
I slept with an african american bisexual prostitute!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.