Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i need some courage..wanna test in 2 days
Sep 28, 2006

Hello Dr.bob ,

you have no idea or probably the best picture for what your forum & your replies mean to the people who seek it . specially the WW's (hopefully me too one).

my case : 33 yr old male penile-vaginal exposure with sex-worker for 5-8 seconds, before coming back to senses & putting on a condom. hiv status of the girl unknown. place : Taiwan my odds : 1 in 1000 (i am not circumcised , hence double the risk)

symptoms : sever sore throat from day 3 . given anti-biotics for 5 days(missed a dose or two). it did relieved sore throat for sure , but not completely as tonsils were still inflammed. this is the same time i started surfing net & freaked out on seeing sore throat as a "possible symptom" of ARS anxiety sky high , smoking pack a day ciggs. from then till date , lost interest in everything , envisioning me being the disgrace of family , surfing on the net & visitng medhelp & thebody more than 10 times a day . day 11: visited ENT again , gave me 6 days more anti-biotics. they work again but then he gave 6 days more. does not want to do throat culture or strep test as he is more than confident it is strep throat . i changed ENT & he changed anti-biotics this time to augmentin (7 days)& i am getting throat culture report also in 2 days time. all this while this sore throat has been my only main concern . i dont have swollen glands elsewhere (except neck) , no fever but feeling very down & tired for sure (too much on my mind 24/7) , loose motions(but they stop when anti-biotics stop) , i keep thinking , all this while anti-biotics also work but why this throat thing is taking so long ?

it's also gonna be six weeks(41 days) in 2 more days . if i see my throat culture says strep(i.e. bacterial infection) it will definately be a booster for me to tell the doc to do a blood test. but i wanna gather the courage to go & get tested anyhow (bacterial or viral sore throat).

doc , 1.is this sore throat acting like ARS ? the only thing which i can see can go for so long is peritonsillar abcess (a form of acute tonsillitis , which has been the diagnosis by ENT so far) .

2.3 days post exposure was too early , but is it possible that in between the bacetrial infection ceased & viral kicked-off ? do bacetrial & viral sore throats occure together at the same time or back to back ?

3.till date how many cases have become pos after a 6 weeks negative test?

gimme the courage to get tested doc.. i badly need it. donation on the way & i promise one more when & "if" i get my nega. test result.

warm regards to you doc., you are a saint.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'll be brief. First, your questions:

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. I have no information on this, as antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.

Next, my advice:

1. Ratchet your worry level way, way down by realizing your fears are way out of proportion to any real HIV risk. Your HIV risk eight seconds of unprotected insertive vaginal sex with a partner of unknown serostatus is minimal at best. Your symptom isolated sore throat is not worrisome for HIV disease.

2. Get an HIV test at the three-month mark.

3. Stop smoking. It will indeed kill you.

Finally: "courage" and good-karma sent!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV+ Person Coughing
Next
Pain in the neck

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.