Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Proof that answers are in the archives
Sep 26, 2006

Dr. Bob,

Here is some proof that people can find their answers in the archives:

Q1: I know that oral sex is a low risk. But I recently gave unprotected oral sex to a female of unknown status and it was pretty intense. Does this change my risk?

Answer from juicy oral sex on July 19, 2005: I gave unprotected oral sex on a female prostitute of unknown status in Cuba,I was using my finger also to stimulate her during forplay,she was wet and well lubricated.I don't recall my tounge touching any of her vaginal fluids, I remained focus on her clit but the tounge lashing was wild and fierce and it is possible that I could have gotten some of her fluids in my mouth. Even if my gums was bleeding at the time what would have been the odds doc on me catching HIV even if she was positive?

Response from Dr. Bob, The HIV transmission risk of oral sex is very, very low. In fact, so low it's difficult to quantitate. If you are concerned, the best thing to do is get tested at the three-month mark, although the main reason for doing so is only to put your mind at ease.

Q2: What if I have a small canker sore?

Answer from I know oral sex is low, but on Dec. 11, 2005: My question: I know from reading the archives, oral sex on a woman is a lower risk activity, but later I noticed some small canker (sp?) sores on my inner lip. How much added risk is there from this incident?

Response from Dr. Bob, In general, small oral canker sores heal very rapidly. I cannot give you an exact answer as to "how much added risk" your particular canker sore would induce. Although, I would anticipate any increased risk would be minimal at best. If you are concerned, a single HIV-antibody test three months after your exposure would give a definitive result and calm any residual fears you may still be harboring.

Unless there is a statue of limitations on the information that you give Dr. Bob, people can really rely on the archives.

Thanks,

Another Dr. Bob archive researcher

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Dr. Bob Archive Researcher!

I have only one thing to say: BRAVO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Doc ! Am freaking out please help (Oral+more!)
Next
Update: Help the family!!! Pregnant wife!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.