WORRIED ABOUT THE UNKNOWN

Hi Dr. Bob,

Let me begin by saying that I think this forum is great and that you are providing an excellent service to man y concerned and worried people. You seem to have a good balance of humor and honesty that goes a long way in bringing worry levels down. Honestly, you make this site the best HIV site on the internet! However, I have a good question for you. Often you are quoted as having said :stop worrying about a disease that you could not possibly have." I am one of these people that still has very dramatic symptoms (thrush, seb. dermatitis, loose stools, nightweats and confirmed PN by a neurologist, etc...) even after two years post exposure, yet my numbers (CD4) are normal as is my ratio for cd4 and cd8 (last count of cd4 863/44%) My questions are:1. Can a person truly be showing symptoms and have a high or normal cd4 count, ratio, and % ? and 2. When you say it is impossible to chase after a disease that we couldn't possibly have, do you know something that we don't in regards to mutations and variations between HIV viruses that may spring up? The reason I ask is that I had one unprotected vaginal exposure exactly two years ago and i have taken MORE than enough tests! 10 ELISAS and one PCR and they all come up negative.I am not looking for HIV, but would like to be sure that I do not put my fiance at risk or allow myself to deteriorate even further..please help. Desperate in NYC!!

Hello Desperate in NYC,

I'll proceed directly to your specific questions:

1. Can a person truly be showing symptoms and have a high or normal CD4 count, ratio and CD4 percentage two years after a single episode of vaginal sex and with 10 negative ELISAs and one negative PCR????? Yes, absolutely it's possible for that person to "show symptoms." However, those "symptoms" would not be caused by HIV. No way. No how.

2. "When you say it is impossible to chase after a disease that we couldn't possibly have, do you know something that we don't . . . ?" First off, I never said it was "impossible to chase after a disease that (you) couldn't possibly have . . . ." People do that all the time! Just check the archives! What I said was "stop chasing after a disease you could not possibly have!" I still stand by that advice!

Next, "do I know something that you don't . . . ?" Yep! I know that you don't have HIV.

I Stopped THEM
A Simple Questions about Prevention and Health Promotion.....[Medical Doctor]