Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV NEG -From: "special" circumstances
Sep 26, 2006

Dr. Bob, I don't know if you remember me, I was the one that had the lap dance and was worried about possible blood from the stripper on my underwear. You mentioned that I was not at risk. However, the one in a million chance was driving me crazy and I went ahead and had the Home Access test almost 4 months after the incident. It was Negative. I noticed on the recording it said that they recommend a second test after 6 months. Here are my questions: 1) is the home test by Home Access (they say is fda approved) accurate? 2) Should I bother with the 6 month or is almost 4 months conclusive? I want to thank you for the service and I want you to know that regardless if you answer this I will make a donation this week, as I mentioned before of $500. You made such a HUGE difference in my life during these past 30 days. And although I realize my fears where irrational they still were paralizing. I urge everyone to contribute to your service. Also, I appreciate the fact that you want to get the REAL information out there, not just move an agenda by scaring people, as I felt many activist did years ago and I believe hurt the cause. God Bless you and although I am not a very religious man I am going to pray for you to be well.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Sure, I remember you! Welcome back to the forum.

1. Yep! Home Access is very reliable and accurate. They use a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) technique with a confirmatory IFA (immune fluorescence assay). Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%.

2. Your four-month negative Home Access is definitive and conclusive. A follow-up test at six months is not necessary. In reality you probably didn't even need the initial test!

I do realize how paralyzing irrational fears can be, but also how liberating knowing the facts can be as well! Now you know the facts. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how! Congratulations and WOO-HOO.

Thanks also for your generous tax-deductible gift. On behalf of the many lives your one gift will touch, please accept my heartfelt thanks!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Get your Ass tested
Next
paranoid to the extreme

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.