Where is my present ?

I searched the archives while you were away last week and couldn't find anything about my bizarre situation. So where's my present ? Anyway, my situation is that my hairdresser accidentally cut my ear with electric cutters while getting a haircut, the kind they use to get a buzz cut. It wasn't a big cut but I noticed a small clot that evening that broke open and bled a little. The girl was flat out careless and I'm wondering if she was that careless with me who was before and did they experience the same thing. It is a high turnover place with regards to customers and another client got a haircut about three minutes prior. I'm somewhat freaked out over this and can't believe I have translated this to possible HIV exposure but I have. Dr. Is there any chance form this ? Do I need to get tested again ? I have no other potential risks and I just want to move on but am having trouble with this experience, I can't believe how badly it is affecting my daily life. Thanks and I hope for some type of good news. Your the best.

Sorry. No present. See below.

Really sleepless

Bob!!

I tip my hat for your patience. I wish you a very good health .I am not able to work properly since this unfortunate incident occured.I di not share this with anybody.Youre my only hope now. Please don't ignore my query. Sorry for my English. I live in Mumbai, India.6 weeks back I had a shave at barber shop. During the shave I had a deep cut on my cheek and Some blood oozed out. In India barbers use a cut-throat razor in which the blade is intended to be changed for every client. But, unfortunately I did not observe whether he changed the blade or not. I asked the barber whether he changed the blade or not. He said he changed it. After that the barber rubbed on my cut with a stone-like substance to stop the burning sensation. .This stone-like substance will be used for all clients after shaving. After 3 weeks of this incident I had pain below, left side of my stomach for 2 weeks and I suffered from diarrhea for 2 days. My physician diagnosed this as amoebiosis and prescribed Metrogyl Compound tablets. After using the tablets for one week I am relieved from diarrhea and pain. After 3 weeks of this incident I had undergone an ELISA HIV1/2 test, which turned out to be NEGATIVE .Its now six weeks after the incident I am experiencing a runny nose and rash on my chest and my back. Is there any chance for HIV virus to spread through the stone-like substance if any blood stains of previous clients were remaining on that? What are the chances of me getting infected in such a situation? Are my symptoms consistent with HIV? Do I need to get tested again? I am very much worried doctor. I did not sleep properly since 6 weeks. I am eagerly waiting for your answer. I will definitely send a donation of $100 to your foundation in October.

Thank you.

A "cut-throat razor"???? Hmmm . . . who's your barber? Sweeney Todd???

To specifically answer your direct questions:

1. HIV transmission from the stone-like substance? No. HIV does not survive outside the body.

2. Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV.

3. I see no reason for additional HIV tests.

Thank you for your donation. It's urgently needed and warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

please

Doctor Bob,

You really are a source of inspiration for me..ive been reading ur replies for quite some time now...and they make me laugh always...ok, coming to my question, i went to a saloon 2 days ago..and the barber, while inserting the blade into the razor, cut his hand on it...and used the same blade to shave the back of my neck...i got a small cut while shaving...cudnt see if it bled, but it wasnt something huge...so, i asked a few experts here in my area( im from bombay, india) and they said that i need not worry about any infection with hiv or any other virus...i am obviously tensed about all this...i wanted your view on this...what are my chances of getting infected? low, high, what? please please please answer my question...i would be really grateful to you. Please tell me whether i have to worry about anything or am i being rather dumb even thinking about something like this...the doctors here atleast feel that i have nothing to worry about..please let me know ... by the way, the hiv incidence in general population is around 0.75%.. rather low..but cant be sure of the barber's seropositivity...still, let me know.. thank you...by the way..in the third week...i noticed that the skin below the collar bone had reddened...and then i went to sleep and within 4 hours, it was back to normal...i have had no other symptoms.. no fever, no lymph gland enlargement ...nothing..please advise..

I agree with your local experts that you don't have anything to worry about. Of course, if you worry in spite of our advice, you can always get an HIV test at the three-month mark, but personally I don't feel it's warranted.

Finally, I should probably mention this would have never happened if you went to a "salon" rather than a "saloon" for your haircut! Stay well. Keep smiling. Stop worrying.

Easy question

Hi Doctor

Doing a great job!

For a long time I have wondered why razor blades are no longer used at hair cutting shops, but clippers still are. It is very easy to puncture somones skin with electic clippers, and than do the same to the next client... Why is this considered less risky than useing razor blades? Is that perception valid?

Reason I ask is because one day i got cut by electric clippers in the barber shop, should i get tested?

"Very easy to puncture someone's skin with electric clippers"??? Just where do you get your haircut? Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street? Barbers need some sharp tools to cut hair - scissors and clippers are much less risky than razors. Can you contract HIV from the barber's clippers? No, not unless they are dripping in fresh blood from an HIV-positive person. No need to be tested. Stay away from Sweeney Todd's place and you'll be fine. By the way, nice haircut!

OMG SUCH DUMB PEOPLE BOB I freakin LOVE YOU MAN
Worried for good reason!!