Plastic Surgery for Lipoatrophy

Hey, Dr. Frascino, I'm an HIV specialist in NZ and one of my patients was asking me about the use of hyaluronic acid to pad areas of lipoatrophy. I can't find good literature comparing different products in terms of duration of benefit, side effects, etc. Cheers, mate. Keep up the good work! Leo

Hi Leo,

Hyaluronic Acid (trade names Restylane, Perlane and Hylaform) is a natural substance found in human connective tissues. The three trade names listed above are synthetic versions of hyaluronic acid and have been designed to prevent rapid breakdown by the body. The advantages of hyaluronic acid as a facial filler include:

1. Durability: data shows results last 6 to 12 months in HIV-positive folks.

2. Price: it's cheaper than many other products, given that fewer "touch-ups" are needed.

3. Reversibility: it can easily be removed in the event of side effects or dissatisfaction with the end results.

Disadvantages include:

1. Post-injection recovery can be uncomfortable.

2. Large volumes are needed for patients with moderate-to-severe facial lipoatrophy.

3. Costs in the U.S. are approximately $1,500 per visit, depending on the brand and volume administered.

Leo, I'd also suggest you check out the information in The Body's new Lipoatrophy Resource Center that can be easily accessed under the Quick Links section on The Body's homepage.

Be well.

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!
I am a man of my word - Donation