Ur the lucky one, Here is the 1 Million doller question

Hello Dr. Bob,

Let me first start with the good news. Your harsh on him, but Dubya still loves you doc! He loves you regardless of what u say or do for that if you r a jew, hindu, muslim or an atheist. Dubya believes there is so many ways to Jesus Christ!! :P

Now to business. Ive been HIV pos for 2 years, but havent had my labs done for 7 months now (health insurance and few other tricky problems) and probably will not be done for another 6 months or so! Also Im not on HAART. Recently I have been given a mood stabilizer called Valporate (Valporic acid) some times also sold as Depakote. Out of curiosity I googled it and found out that it is being researched as a medication to flush HIV reservoirs on the body in conjunction with HAART regimens. Now is it safe for me to talk this medication? Especially that Im not on HAART? My source of worry is simply employing unscientific common sense type of thinking which is that if it flushes the viral reservoirs then it would let loose dormant viral cells into my body, and since Im not in HAART this doesnt sound like a very smart idea.

Please dont tell me to do the labs since its not possible now! Remember its a Russian roulette! Take the medication (if I live you win if I dont you lose) or dont take the medication (which is pretty silly because my Bipolar Disorder is really getting out of control and this med is the best fit and not much is available where Im now).

Thanks for your great work doc. It's a real inspiration. Keep it up

Dubya loves me??? Hmmm . . . did someone just stop payment on your reality check?

"Dubya believes . . . ." Yeah, that's the problem. He "believes" rather than utilizing rational thought processes. That way pesky stuff like facts and reality don't really have to matter in his bubble.

From some of your comments, I'm beginning to see why Dubya and excessive religiosity appeal to you. What does the following statement even mean??? "Remember it's a Russian roulette! Take the medication (if I live you win if I don't you lose) or don't take the medications (which is pretty silly because my Bipolar Disorder is really getting out of control and this med is the best fit and not much is available where I'm now)." What the heck are you babbling about??? I have no vested interest in your Russian roulette fantasies about your health.

To answer your question, even if valproate did flush HIV from resting T-cell reservoirs (a hypothesis we are still evaluating), this would not have a significant effect on HIV disease progression. The resting T-cell reservoirs are only a tiny portion of total viral burden. In an untreated individual, HIV can multiply 10 billion times per day! Consequently, small viral reservoirs should not be one of your major concerns, especially because you obviously have other more pressing issues to address:

1. Appropriate HIV evaluation and follow-up. Not getting labs for seven months and not planning to get them for another six is Dubya-dumb! Speaking of Dubya, ever consider the fact that 47,000,000 Americans without health insurance is a problem he just might want to address?

2. Your bipolar disorder getting out of control.

3. Not taking medications you obviously need.

4. "Believing" Dubya is competent.

I really can see why bipolar folks like Dubya's bipolar view of life. For example in Dubya's parallel universe:

1. Jesus loves you, but shares your deep hatred of homosexuals and Hillary.

2. The U.S. should get out of the United Nations, but enforcing UN resolutions against Iran is our highest national priority.

3. Being a drug addict is a moral failing and a crime, unless you're a conservative radio host, in which case it's an illness and needs our prayers for recovery.

4. A good way to fight the global war on terror is to belittle our long-time allies, but then demand their cooperation and money.

5. Providing health care to all Iraqis is sound policy. Providing health care to all Americans is socialism.

6. Global warming and tobacco's link to cancer are junk science, but creationism should be taught in schools.

7. Saddam was a good guy when Reagan armed him and Rumsfeld reassured him he was our buddy, a bad guy when Dubya's daddy made war on him, a good guy when Cheney did business with him, but then a bad guy again when Bush Junior needed a prop for his reelection campaign as a war president.

8. A president lying about an extramarital blowjob is an impeachable offense, but a president lying about the existence of WMD to enlist support for an unprovoked, undeclared war and occupation, in which thousands of soldiers and civilians die, is, somehow, solid defense policy in the war on terror.

9. The government should limit itself to the powers named in the constitution, except we should also ban gay marriage and censor the "Internets."

10. The public has the right to know all about Hillary's cattle trades but Bush's Harken Oil stock trade information should be sealed in his daddy's library and is none of our business.

11. What Bill Clinton and John Kerry did in the 1960s was of vital national interest, but what Dubya did in the 80s is irrelevant.

To believe what Dubya believes is to believe illogical paradoxes make sense. Sorry, I'm not buying into that parallel universe.

Sex without a condom
I'm asking again, sorry/